HD Crash, how to read as slave?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stxman, May 6, 2008.

1. stxman

stxman Private E-2

Dell 4600
    p4 2.8
    2.5gb ram
    XP Pro

I recently had a hard drive failure of my 80g seagate 7200 drive. There are no errant noises or issues with the drive, just the unmountable boot volume blue screen. I used the windows recovery console to try to work out the issue with chkdsk c: /r, then with fixboot, then with fixmbr. All failed to fix the problem and there were too many corrupted sectors.

Prior to this problem, I was searching through old cd's that I burned off of my drive from my previous tower which was a great dell xps400 pii. Unfortunately, after buying a new one, I didn't turn it on for over a year. I turned on the computer to get some pictures, that the 13.6gb maxtor was making a beeping noise, so I shut it down and that was that. Anyway, while I was searching through the CDs looking for some pictures, the system got bogged down. I stopped what I was doing, unplugged my network cable, unplugged the ipods (mine and my wifes were plugged in) and got to the desk top. I shut down and stepped away. Later that afternoon, I came back to it, started it up and got the Blue Screen. My initial fear was that a virus was on the cds. in order to prevent further issues, I shredded the cds.

Now, I have a 320g WD SATA. The old 80g is IDE. It took a few steps, including having to purchase a SATA power supply adaptor and then loaded XP and office, Adobe, Norton ISS, and the rest that I had licenses for. However, I have work on the other HDD that I need and spent hours producing. The problem is that I cannot get the computer to recognize the 80g on the IDE. It seems like it wont power up, etc. I've tried different power connectors, tried using a diffent IDE location (HD2 instead of 1). The computer boots fine on the SATA as directed in BIOS.

Is there a way to get my system to read the old HD so that I can try to recover files from it?

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

So is the old drive recognized in the BIOS in any shape form or manner?

It's possible if it is set up as an Auto detect of the drive that it isn't being recognized properly and you would then need to set it up manually (if allowed in your BIOS)

3. stxman

stxman Private E-2

Thank you so much for helping out... I am away from the computer now, but I can tell you that the BIOS is definitely set as auto-detect.

FYI, the drive does not appear in the device manager either.

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

are you sure you have the ide drive set to the right master/slave setting? if it's by itself, the jumper should be set to master...or try cable select, tho ive seen sometimes it doesn't work that way.

5. stxman

stxman Private E-2

Great point! Come to think of it, I don't think the jumper is in place! I'll double check the slave settings and also double check that I have the detection in the BIOS changed to something else.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds