HD not working after swaping e-boards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by edi98, Dec 11, 2004.

1. edi98

edi98 Private E-2

Ok, since I could not fo anything about the fried HD, I decided it was worth a try to to the exact HD (Maxtor - DiamondMax Plus 8, 40 GB) and swap the e-boards. I put the old E-board on the new one, but had no luck. I put the new e-board back to the new HD and at this time had given up recovering the data from the old HD. I just wanted to format the new HD and load XP. After it reads frm the CD-Rom and it odes some innitial checking for files and such I get the following

" A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
    If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error scree, restart your computer. IOf this screen appears again follow these steps:
    Run a system diagnostic utility supplied by your hardware manufacturer. In particula run a memory check, and check for faulty or mismatched memory. Try changing video adapters
    Diable or remove any newly installed hardware and drivers, or sofware. If you need to use safe mode restart your computer and press F8............
    Technical info:
    ***STOP: 0x0000007F "

Sorry about he long description, just in case it matters. I know that the things that it is mentioning are ok because I took this HD (thinking I can format it and load XP over there and then hook it back to the original comp) and put into my other computer and it did the same thing over there. This is the new HD I just received from NewEgg yesterday.
    Could it have gonne bad when I tried the old electronic board on it?

Thanks!

2. Doby

Doby Sergeant

Hi,

I don't fully understand but you could try to format the drive with maxtor software not with the XP disk. Maxtor recomends using their software, if this was a oem drive you can download the software from maxtor's web site.

Rick

3. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Ditto!
    Go to maxtor web site download MaxBlast, is free, can format/partition/ and do diagnostic's
    MaxBlast comes with retail HDD, OEM can download free at maxtor!

When loading OS to HDD you must have the HDD in the computer that it will run in, if you load in another PC you'll get the same error's you posted.

Make sure your jumpers are set correctly.

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

From what I understand, you removed the IDE board fom the HD. Did you check to make sure you reconnected everything properly. Also, you may have damaged the new board when you removed it, as they are sensitive to static electricity discharge. It also voids the warranty.
    P.S. It is better to buy a used HD for this purpose, there's less to lose.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds