HD R/W constantly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BubbaEuler, Dec 21, 2012.

1. BubbaEuler

BubbaEuler Private E-2

CPU is not the problem. The Hard Drive has been running constantly since yesterday, making the operation of any user action very s-l-o-w, or slower than normal. My System Monitor tells me the CPU actions are normal and that the HD R/W data is low; however, the LED annunciator for the HD is full-ON or flashing very rapidly all the time, which indicates data access. I have turned-OFF the Network to the internet, and the symptoms do not change.

I did have a Windows start up problem yesterday which was quickly repaired by Windows "Check File System". Windows loads properly. Ever since that incident, the HD has been constantly "busy", according to the LED annunciator.

Yep, it's a puzzlement. Any ideas? Thanks.

Bubba Euler

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, BubbaEuler...

First things that come to mind are antivirus and the Windows Indexing service. Since you can disconnect from the internet try disabling whatever A/V software you have, see if that changes the symptoms. Same with the Indexing service.

What version of Windows and Service Pack #? The OS is not defragging, is it? Sometimes after a ChkDsk or SFC Windows defrags its file systems on its own...

3. BubbaEuler

BubbaEuler Private E-2

Windows 7 HP / SP1; Windows Indexing has been turned off since last year; Advanced System Care 5 w/ A/V Pro and it is not scanning when the HD is having its will. It updates normally, too; I see no defrag operation in the System Explorer, only the simple Services.exe upon occasion.

4. Caliban

Good morning...

What happens if you boot the machine into Safe Mode - any change in symptoms?

5. BubbaEuler

BubbaEuler Private E-2

Well, I found the problem child: System Restore was accessing the System Volume Information file all the time. I turned off System Restore for the interim until I can find out the what/why of the change in the access timing. Any ideas along those lines? At least, the computer is running smoothly and quickly now!

Thank God for System Monitor's ability to access the HD activity!

Watiently paiting for your idea(s) you might have,

Bubba Euler:confused

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

System Restore accessing the HDD constantly is an issue and generally due to a 3rd party application that's installed, in part if could be the Anti-Virus app or backup app that you have installed, so following Caliban's info and starting in Safe Mode and seeing if all works ok is a start, if all works ok then, use msconfig to disable all startups and reboot and check, if ok enable one startup at a time and reboot and check until you find a culprit.

Possible you could attach a startup list as below

as we may find an app in that list that "could" cause an issue with HDD access.

7. BubbaEuler

BubbaEuler Private E-2

Not to dodge the rigor involved with the procedure(s) suggested, I'll list my UNchanged, since October 2012, Start-up list and wait for your assessment. Ha! I do not suspect the Start-up. Perhaps it is a newly installed, not running program (or not supposed to be, anyway) which might be producing the anomaly.

Synaptics Pointing Device PS-2 touch pad
    Advanced System Care Pro 5 with A/V
    System Explorer v.4.0.0.5025
    IObit Smart RAM 2 (part of ASC Pro 5 package)
    IObit Smart Defrag 2 (not the culprit, for sure)
    The rest of the list is Windows based stuff.

8. BubbaEuler

BubbaEuler Private E-2

Here's the Start up list via CCleaner:

Attached Files:

9. Caliban

I don't see anything in the list that could be causing the issues. I'm not familiar with the "Dritek Systems Launch Manager" but it's apparently an Acer program and looks benign.

If you've disabled System Restore and rebooted you have effectively wiped out your restore points. You might try re-enabling System Restore and seeing if the symptoms have changed - it's possible that one of the old RPs was corrupt and that now things are good to go.

10. BubbaEuler

BubbaEuler Private E-2

I did restart System Restore and it is behaving itself!?! :-D

By Golly, it's good to have a fast machine again and to know that it is back to normal in its functions. :major

Getting Geekier by the minute... Thanks again for your direction and positive feedback. Oh, I read the Houston Chronicle on-line and there is a Tech column where I posted Majorgeeks.com and gave a little description and endorsement to other readers. I hope you all get tons of likes on the Facebook page.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  11. Caliban

Glad you got things sorted, BubbaEuler - thanks for the feedback, and thanks for the Houston Chronicle endorsement. Good luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds