HD recognized in BIOS but not in windows xp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by waryuser, Jan 9, 2010.

1. waryuser

waryuser Private First Class

Hello guy well I plugged my brother's Hard Drive to mine to attempt to recover some pictures because his system is not starting up (doesn't know why, windows just stopped loading). He has some pictures he wants me to recover. When I plug it in, I can see the HD in the BIOs and I hear it start up and everything, when I loge on to windows xp 64 bit edition it doesnt show up under my computer or under device manager or disk management.

Do i need some type of driver for it to be recognized?. It is the only device in my system plugged in through IDE ribbon cable. All otehr devices are plugged in through SATA connections.

Or could it mean that the HD is damaged?

How would you guys suggest trying to have the hard drive recognized so i can save some of the photos?

My plan was to recover his data and then reinstall windows. Any help is very much appreciated.

PS: i build my computer myself, in case that is relevant.

thanks for your time!!

2. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Try booting an Ubuntu Live CD, if it sees both the drives just transfer them to your regular HDD.

Q

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Are the IDE drive jumpers set to Master--I believe they should be.

4. waryuser

Thanks for the replies, I used Ubuntu to recover the files. Good thinking!

Sach2: the hard drive jumper is set to "Cable select'.

I still want to get another ribbon IDE channel hard drive to be recognized in windows XP 64 bit because I want to recover files from an older computer I have as well. Any idea as to why it doesn't work? this second drive shows up in the BIOS too just not in Windows xp 64 bit

5. Groinsh0t

Groinsh0t Private E-2

Had this problem before too-
    I set the jumpers on my main HD to master and set the jumper on the HD I wanted files from to slave, and it worked for me.

6. ~Q~

Glad you got the photos safe mate.

We should all be given a UBCD and copy of Ubuntu at birth IMO :p

Also if you want to trouble shoot the HDD not working anyway, try as sach said and set them to master/slave, if im right some drives dont like cable select.

7. waryuser

I set the HD in question to slave and my main hard drive (a SATA HD) has a notice that says "master/slave settings not required for SATA Jumpered pins 3 and 4 enable PUIS (power up in standby)". Im not sure what the second part means. but im guessing there is no jumper for it.

no way to use jumper because there is no little white plastic, if you guys follow me with my techinical jargon..haha

this is frustrating. Im guessing is a compatability issue with windows XP 64 bit. any other ideas as to how to get this to work? or do you guys/girls think it's not worth the trouble??

8. ~Q~

If you have got everything you need off it, i would set it up as the only drive in a computer and wipe - format - reinstall, then see how it goes from there.

Q

9. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Did you try setting it to Master? Even though you want it as a secondary drive it is the Master (only device) on the IDE cable.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds