HD space monitor program

Discussion in 'Software' started by Allochthonous, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Allochthonous

Allochthonous Corporal

A few months ago I gave my mom and dad an old P3 450 that I had sitting around for them to use for bookkeeping and internet. It's a decent machine - the main problem with it being that the HD is only 6 GB and there is no CDRW. I really don't feel like installing a second HD, as they really don't need much space. Its just now worth investing any $$ in. They would be better served by buying a new system rather than spend on upgrades. This was just basically a test to see if they would even use it.

They are not particularly computer literate, so I am worried that the drive may become too full without their knowledge eventually. I think they have about 3 GB left. I plan on cleaning it up a little when i go visit next month.

My question is this: Is there a program out there (freeware) that will run in the background and alert when the HD space reaches a designated minimum amount?

PK

2. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

You didn't mention what OS the PC is using, I know in XP you can set Performance Logs and Alerts to pop up and warn the user after you set it to the value you choose. Not sure if Win98 has that ability. Still for book keeping and internet 3 Gigs would last along time if they don't install and big applications.

3. Allochthonous

Allochthonous Corporal

Oops, sorry. Win2000.

Yeah, I would not be as worried about the drive space with what they do, but I am also thinking about selling them my old digital camera. They would still have to take a heck of a lot of pictures to fill up 2 or 3 gig! (its just a 3.2 MP camera)

PK

4. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

You can set an Alert with 2000. My folks are the same way, they just got a PC (a surprise to me and did not consult me) and don't know how to use it. If they do well with it and they start to run out of space... add a CDRW later (I got one for $10 bucks) or you could get an external HDD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds