HD .. windows xp related prob.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fallen Angel, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel Private First Class

well . hmm .

i was watching " the office " (<3) on my pc earlier and it froze up

no bsod, it stopped on a single frame and the audio kept going at 1/2 rate .

didnt work out so well .

now when i boot, i get to the windows " loading screen " then after that, my computer just restarts

i tried system restore, but it would involve me wiping my c:windows drive and im unsure of where my cd is right now . other than that, all it does is restart when i try to load. safe mode, etc.

so ... i was thinking ...
    specs -
    3.0ghz dual core
    512 x2, 1024 x2 ram @ ddr6400 800mhz
    500gb sata II
    dvd burner ..
    256mb ati radeon 9600?

my solution was to buy a new hd and make it the primary .
    having the other 500gb as a storage ( maybe 15gb free, tons of music / movies . )
    is that a .. realistic solution? would a new hd solve my space / windows probs ?

2. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Are you talking about System Restore that is built in? If so, that doesn't necessarily "wipe" your hard drive clean in theory, and it doesn't require the windows disk.

What it does do....every time you restart or manually set a restore point, it takes a snapshot of your system as is at that very moment. It then logs that restore point to a calender, so if you want to restore to a certain/previous date...open system restore, select a date that you want to roll back to (obviously one before your problem arose) and follow the instructions and sit back and be patient. Depending on how loaded up your system is...it could take just a few minutes, or a couple hours or more!!

Once it is restored, you will find the system at the EXACT configuration it was of the date you chose to roll it back to. Meaning...any applications, drivers, document, pictures, or anything that you have done/altered since the date you chose, will no longer be existent.

Now...if you're talking about the system restore the PC manufacturer put in a separate partition or on a disc that came with the system...then yeah...it will wipe the drive and you will need the disc.

3. Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel Private First Class

yeah, not that one .

that would be system restore > in windows . my xp doesnt load

maybe its my installation, im not sure -
    but i have an option during startup ( after bios checks etc )
    to load windows XP or windows recovery console .
    googling that atm, see what i can do with it .

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds