hdd defrag software question

Discussion in 'Software' started by alontheriver, Jan 6, 2009.

1. alontheriver

alontheriver Private First Class

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is even the remotest possibility that running a disk defrag program could cause problems with programs not responding properly after the defrag was done. thanks

2. Deckard

Deckard Private E-2

Anything is possible given the right/wrong set of conditions. Every event in the universe has a finite probability.

But if you use a good defragmenter* and your system has no problems (hardware/malware/conflicts) then the chances of defragging causing programs to not respond is negligible. All defrag does is make files contiguous, and in some cases optimizes their arrangement. It does not change the contents of the files or directories, or delete files. If your HDD has hardware problems or the file system is corrupt (check with fsutil dirty query) then defrag may cause problems. All good defraggers check the dirty bit before starting the defrag, so file system corruption usually is not a factor.

FWIW, I have never had any problems from defragging since the Windows 98 days.

* Use reliable defragmenters. Don't use warez or cracked defraggers...pirated software can contain malware or damage windows in other ways.

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

They also help your machine to run faster because the drive has everything closer together. Best improvement is seen on badly fragmented machines.
    I use Ultimate Defrag with no problems once a week.
    IObit Defragger has Smart Defrag that(if turned on) will constantly defrag in the background. At least that is the claim.

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

5. blunie

blunie Private E-2

I guess its also a good idea to make sure you dont run the risk of any problems due to power outage. ( BTW, I use Diskeeper on my drives and havent had any problems with it so far)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds