HDD failures

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Howmanator, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Howmanator

Howmanator Corporal

I have three harddrives that I cannot use because Win 7 would not completely install, rendering them useless. When I would try re-installing win 7, I would be asked if I wanted to upgrade from an earlier O/S or perform an advanced install that would overwrite all settings (that never worked). I clicked the repair option but that required a repair disk or thumb drive which does not exist.

Can anyone recommend a way to get the O/S onto the drive or completely remove the files that did install? My idea was to install the errant drives into my computer with the current drive and try accessing and deleting (reformatting) the incomplete files.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yes you can do that as add the drives you wish to wipe/reformat as a slave to a working drive, then pop it back in the PC that needs the OS and start again.

Or as during the Windows 7 install, you do have the option to choose Custom install then highlight the main HDD to be used and choose Drive Options Advanced then Delete and Create a new partition to the full size of the HDD and then if needed install any SATA drivers and continue with the Install of Windows 7.

Oh found some screenshots for you on the install http://www.petri.co.il/ultimate-guide-to-installing-windows-7.htm

3. Howmanator

Howmanator Corporal

I hope you guys understand how appreciative we are of your dedication toward helping others :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds