HDD freezes up- only works in safe mode-WTF!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hill_dweller, May 25, 2010.

1. hill_dweller

hill_dweller Private E-2

So, my hp dv1000 laptop has a 3 month old Seagate 4200.2 100gig hard drive in it. Turned it on after normal shut down, and the damn windows xp wouldn't load past the logon screen. The HDD light was on too. Turned it on in safe mode with networking, and it works fine. I thought I might run the Seatools to try and fix whatever is wrong with the HDD, but I couldn't get it to load. Tried downloading the .NET framework 2.0, and it won't let me complete that either. It says there is an error right away. (probobly cause I'm in safe mode) I've ran some spyware things, (it let me download and run those), and all I got was some tracking cookies. I tried to go to the microsoft windows update site and update the xp, but it just checks for updates and makes the HDD light stay on and the HDD get real hot.
    I really don't do anything crazy on my cpu, and I didn't drop it or spill beer on it. :drink
    Does anyone know how I can fix this pain in the butt? :bangheadI'm not that computer literate, but I did install the HDD and windows and crap. I have the windows disk and have tried to run the repair thing, but I don't really know how to use it.
    Any knowledge or help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks-K

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

It sounds more like a software problem then a hardware problem. Perhaps a virus or corruption on the HDD which could be caused by many things including a bad controller on the mainboard.

Boot your Windows CD and hit R for the recovery console. You may need to select the partition to access but there should only be one. If it asks for an Administrator password and you havent set one, just hit enter. At the command prompt type "chkdsk /R" without the quotes and hit enter. It could take a long time to complete. After it completes, see if it will boot.

3. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

4. hill_dweller

hill_dweller Private E-2

Thanks for the tips, I will be trying these this evening. I know it can be fixed! I'll let you know how it goes...:wave

5. hill_dweller

hill_dweller Private E-2

THANKS SO MUCH shnerdly and brandypeppy!!:clap
    I ran the chkdsk and viola! (well, not THAT fast)
    It said there was more than one thing fixed and I restarted the laptop and everything is ok.
    Thanks again:drink
    K
    p.s.-I am downloading updates now

6. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Now you need to run the Seagate diagnostics on the drive to make sure it is fit for service. If Seatools shows any bad sectors, go to the Seagate website and process an RMA on the drive. The drive should have a 3 or 5 year warranty on it.

7. hill_dweller

hill_dweller Private E-2

I ran the Seatools and all the tests passed, so I guess it had something to do with the windows. Anyways, thanks again and all is good in laptop land.

8. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

In the words of Andrew: "One is glad to be of service."

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds