HDD recovery... Won't format

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jools1976, Mar 19, 2011.

1. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Hey folks. Recenty I bought and installed a refurbished 160GB Fujitsu for a buddy's laptop, which I formatted and installed XP on. It ran fine for about a week, then started having some startup problems (Wouldn't go past the XP logo). It would start in safe mode though, but would occasionally freeze and require a hard reboot. Using the recovery console within the XP installation disk, I ran chkdsk /r at the command prompt, which ran normally for about an hour, then froze (left it overnight) at 61%. I restarted the laptop and it said operating system not found. I've tried to reformat the drive by installing XP again, won't work. I tried putting it in an external SATA enclosure and reformat using both Windows, and Parted Magic. Neither will work. I've seen this before, but in the past I've always just replaced the drive. Does anybody know of any techniques, or some decent software, that can recovery/repair these kinds of problems? Thanks.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Sound to me like you need to take that hard drive back and get another one. ;)

3. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Yeah I tend to agree.... And that's what I've always done. Seems like a shame to turf the drive though if it can be fixed. I figured there might be some SW that could eliminate the damaged sectors or something.

4. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Start - my computer - hard drive - right click - properties - tools - first tab - check - error checking - check second tab and run it , 95 % hdd is dead !! :tas

5. TimW

@falconattack --> you missed the part where he has tried that and now is getting an operating system not found.

6. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Sorry should have mentioned... In a Windows environment as soon as I hook the drive up (within a USB-SATA enclosure), Windows gives me a message saying the drive needs to be formatted. The format then of course fails. So, it never actually comes up in My Computer. It does however come up in disk management, but the option isn't there to check for errors. Going back to my original post, I tried checkdisk via the command promt but it froze at 61%.

7. TimW

Yes, it does sound like it is a faulty drive. I have had that issue happen with used drives before. Only thing to do is replace it. Even if you were to get it to be recognized, I still wouldn't trust it in the long haul.

8. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

True enough... I'm running a program called killdisk right now, it takes a while but may make it recognizable. You're right though, probably won't last long.

9. TimW

I don't know where you got it from, but they should just swap you out another one. I've found that most places just nuke the drive to remove any previous data and then resell it as refurbished. Doesn't mean the drive is really good.

10. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Ok , i understand this !! :cry

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds