HDD space disappears when downgrading OS

Discussion in 'Software' started by Yog-Sothoth, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth Private E-2

My company bought a bunch of new HP desktops (s5220f). I am switching them from the pre-installed Windows 7 home to Windows XP pro. During XP pro install when it asks me how to partition and where to install the OS it can only find 131 GB of HDD space, but the hard drive is 640 GB. I went ahead with the install with a single partition of all 131 GB. It worked perfectly and left me with 121 GB of free space after updates, which is actually more than enough in this office.

But, where did my 509 GB of space go? :confused

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

You seem to have run into this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303013 iifc you would need your XP version to be at SP1 or better SP2 or 3.

Could try this free partition software HERE to merge the unused space to the main partition, or just format and have that space as a second partion for data or such

3. mickeblue

mickeblue Private E-2

Might depend on when your version of XP was purchased. Early releases had an HD limitation which was rectified by the SP's, so as Halo suggests you need to load SP2.

4. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth Private E-2

I already had updated to SP2, so I used that program Halo linked me to and it worked fine. I'm now rockin' 640,131,899,392 B. Which is actually 596 GB. Damn the fact that 2^10 doesn't equal 1000! :cry

On another note I see that instead of the 4 GB of RAM I should have, windows XP only sees 3.24 GB of RAM. What's the explanation for that one?

Oh, and thanks Halo.

5. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

That's because you're using a 32-bit OS that can only see 3.5 or so GB of RAM.

6. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Any 32-bit OS, whether it be XP, Vista, MAC OS, or Linux can only "see" and use 3.5GB of RAM (or thereabouts). It is a design limitation of the 32-bit software idea.

If you want to remove it, upgrade to 64-bit. This is limited to 128GB of RAM (I think) although that is a lot more than most motherboards can handle!

64-bit OSes need 64-bit hardware, in case you decide to upgrade.

7. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth Private E-2

I see, you guys sure are knowledgeable.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds