HDMI Detection Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Moriachik, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Moriachik

Moriachik Private E-2

Hiya! I'm sorry for making THIS my first post but this board seems pretty awesome so I'm hoping to stick around and contribute more.

I am having a wee bit of a problem with my Asus though...

Long story short, I've been hooking it up to my Vizio TV via HDMI for a good long while with no problems. Had it running with UltraMon to streamline the whole process and it's been dual-screening like a motherf*cker.

WELL today it decided to just stop working. I was watching some documentary or something on it but shut the laptop, it went into Hibernation, and then when I opened it back up and turned it on it was running like molasses.
    The displays weren't syncing correctly so I unplugged the cable (disconnecting the TV, duh) and tried getting playing around with it.

I use AdvancedSystemCare which has a 'Turbo Boost' option where it basically disables all kinds of stuff. It was on, so I shut it off to restore everything to normal.

When I plugged it back IN, I got nothing. Jack sh*t. It recognised that it was plugged in but there was no display or sound. It ran a Windows Update in the meantime but whatever
    Tonight it's not even detecting the TV. It's not the cable, because the cable and the TV work fine when plugged into my other laptop (exact same model of Acer).

They run on integrated Intel GFX so it's pretty sh*tty to begin with. I've tried a system restore, driver rollback, driver update, messing with all kinds of settings, but it's just not detecting.

Sorry if this doesn't belong in Hardware! D:

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate it. We've been ripping our hair out trying to troubleshoot this and all I can come up with is some kind of hardware issue. (No changes detected).

I CAN'T EVEN!

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks!

The first thing I would try is running System Restore. Choose a restore date/time shortly before the problem started.

If this fixes the problem, it likely points to a problem caused by a Windows update or other recently installed software.

If this doesn't fix the problem, please post a reply and other members may have different solutions.

Hope this helps. :)

3. Moriachik

Moriachik Private E-2

Thank you so much for the reply! :D
    Unfortunately I did try to Restore to where it was on June 30th, it didn't fix the problem at all.
    I'm really hoping it's not a broken HDMI port, although I really don't think it could have broken suddenly and without any kind of force.

So yeah, I'm definitely open to any other suggestions. Would you like me to post my specs or anything? :)

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Try making sure your tv hasn't changed any hdmi options?

5. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

6. Moriachik

Moriachik Private E-2

Alright, thank you guys :)
    I've tweaked the settings with everything I can think of and nothing has changed, if the new cable doesn't work I'm just going to assume it's the port itself.

Thanks! :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds