Headset microphone not working...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SallyP, Mar 9, 2012.

1. SallyP

SallyP Private E-2

Hi all,

This has me so stumped, I'm usually pretty good with my own tech issues but I could really do with some expert opinions on this.

I have a Creativity Fatality gaming headset, which is not a USB set, it's a normal green/pink jack set. I haven't used it in a couple of months but it always worked fine on this system before, and I've not altered any settings since the last time I used it, that I can think of, but when I plug it in the microphone just doesn't work.

The headphones work fine, which is making me think it's not the soundcard that's the issue, and I tried the headset on a friend's laptop and the mic works perfectly, so am thinking it is some kind of setting/driver issue but I have no idea what.

I have updated my Realtek sound card drivers to the latest ones. The only weird thing that might give someone a clue is when I plug my mic jack into the pink socket the Realtek sound manager thingyamebob recognises it as speakers, and when I plug the green jack in it doesn't recognise that at all.

I have done the standard stuff such as checking audio devices, volumes and stuff. When selecting the device for recording the microphone is not an option at all, it just shows the Realtek soundcard device.

Does anyone have any ideas that I've not thought about I can try? Any help gratefully received.

Sally

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Welcome to the forum:) This may sound stupid simple but there's a switch near the volume control to turn on the microphone just double check its on.

Have you configured your audio devices?Control panel,sound,right click your sound card and configure,run the wizard and select 2 channel stereo speakers.

Go into your realtek control panel also and make sure its set to stereo and make sure your mic is enabled there,if you right click the icon in your taskbar you should be able to configure it.

Could you post your operating system and the make and model of your computer if it has one,the model of your soundcard if you know it.

Go to control panel,system,device manager are there any yellow exclamation marks?

3. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

... and have you got the microphone plugged in to the right outlet (or is it usb)?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds