Heat inside my Dell case

Discussion in 'Software' started by Vlad the Impaler, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Vlad the Impaler

Vlad the Impaler F.K.A. Immaculate

My compter is a highly modified DELL ( the only things in it that are still DELL is the ram and mobo).

I need to see how hot it is getting in the case, I tried to install a program but it didn't work. I heard somewhere that Dell mobo's don't have the sensor that tells you the temp inside the case. Is this true and there is no way for me to install a program that will tell me the temp?

2. Vlad the Impaler

Re: Did you try .....

I will try it thanks..do you have a Dell? what is a good temp to have, and what is too hot?

3. HASSELBLAD

HASSELBLAD Sgt. Smirnoff

I had the same problem back in the day.

The best way I can tell you is to use your better judgment. Place your hand at the back of the case, if it feels too hot, then it might be.
    One thing I know would help is installing a 5" front drive bay intake fan system, you can buy them most anywhere for about $20, some may even have a temp sensor.

You could also remove that 100mm fan in the back and fit in 2x 80mm, but that really didn't help me.

4. SgtRedneck

SgtRedneck Private E-2

why not take the case off, see if anything is to hot, if so then mount a fan blowing on whatever it is thats hot. You just need good air flow to keep the air moving, that should keep the machine cool enough unless your overclocking to some insane level.

5. Vlad the Impaler

Well I just recently started leaving my Dell on 24/7 so i am concerned. I have the fan on the back of the case that the comp came with, and the power supply fan. I installed a fan above the processor and the processor has a heat sink. I installed a new Thermaltake fan and heat sinks on my graphics card. I don't overclock anything.
    Should be enough to keep it cool?

6. HASSELBLAD

HASSELBLAD Sgt. Smirnoff

I wouldn't worry about it. Good temps are over rated.

7. Vlad the Impaler

I am going to see how long it will stay on non stop and see how long I can go without a reboot. should be interesting.

8. SgtRedneck

SgtRedneck Private E-2

I've got 6 hard drives in my case atm.
    So it generates a fair amount of heat. Ive got 1 fan for ever 2 drives blowing in them and a fan at the back extracting heat.
    Only downside to fans they make to much damn noise.
    Specially if they are cheap like mine ;)

9. HASSELBLAD

HASSELBLAD Sgt. Smirnoff

Temps inside the case usually don't keep rising and rising. After your PC has been on for a few hours of CPU and video stress, its probably reached its peak.
    Things you should watch out for is the room temp, and were nearing winter so I don't see any issues there.

I wouldn't bother seeing how long you can keep your PC on for, being that it pretty much depends on your OS, and Windows 2000 Pro is the only one I know of that can be on for over a year.

You probably wont make it past a month without running into major windows errors/slow down etc.

10. HASSELBLAD

HASSELBLAD Sgt. Smirnoff

What sort of raid setup do you have?

11. Vlad the Impaler

interesting.. Well, I am running XP PROand I have a gig of RAM.... thanks for the input.

12. SgtRedneck

SgtRedneck Private E-2

no raid just ata 100 controler card :)
    2x 40 off the Primary ide
    2x 40 off the Primary ATA100 Card
    2 x 80 off the Secondary ATA100 Card

I've got a cheap and nasty Shuttle mobo. That i got for an upgrade to a duron ages ago.

Haven't upgraded the board yet once i do that i might get rid of these drives and buy a coupla 200 gig serial ata drives

13. HASSELBLAD

HASSELBLAD Sgt. Smirnoff

Immaculate: If you're going to try, be sure to get a good RAM defrag program such as "Fast Defrag".

SgtRedneck: Do you multi-boot several versions of windows and Linux or what?

14. SgtRedneck

SgtRedneck Private E-2

Actually this machine runs XP Pro only,
    Ive got another machine that i run linux on when i feel the urge.
    mandrake 9.1
    But i usually get bored of it within 2 weeks and go straight back to windows :)
    This machine is mainly for games movies n stuff.

15. Vlad the Impaler

how often should I defrag the RAM?
    and what does Defragging the RAM do?

16. SgtRedneck

SgtRedneck Private E-2

it free's up ram so you've got more to play with bassically
    :)

17. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

which would normally only happen on reboot.

Usful if you dont fancy restarting your computer much.

18. Mocean

Mocean Guest

immaculate, hopefully you woudnt be stupid enough to overclock the dell, unless you felt like frying some hot dogs. So yes, listen to hassle, temps are very overated, especially in your case. My comp never goes about 23 celcius, yes, celcius....or so my lovely temp monitor says....What is useful about it? The satisfaction...thats it...I have no reason at all to overclock my processor, its allready at 3.0, what would be the point?

19. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

FYI: We have stopped posting new "memory defragmenters" here. We update current ones thats all. Why? Because they dont work. They use a pile of memory just to free memory and they lie about how much memory has been freed. Most of them are shareware and purchasing more ram in todays market is a better investment and possibly as cheap. That or using a program like Cacheman will do the trick, but I cant find a "memory freeing" program that really works.

20. Vlad the Impaler

What about Fast Defrag? It doesn't really work?

21. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Fast Defrag does a lot of other things, though. Again, why would you buy a 30 dollar program that frees ram when you could buy 64 more megs or optimize your swap file? If your low on memory, adding another program into startup is not going to help. About the only thing that might help is a program that makes sure programs truly close and\or releases DLL's being used. If I had time, I would run the program and show you screenshots of various programs, including Windows that show they dont help. That and anyone I have ever run was unable to make my computer run smoother when it slowed down.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds