Heat Monitoring Program

Discussion in 'Software' started by Oooops!, May 11, 2007.

1. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

I'm looking for a program that I can download so that I can monitor my computers heat. I had an extra fan installed last year, as the original fan was constantly on high speed during last summer. I need something very easy to use, dummy proof if you will, lol. I did have a program installed, but lost it when the computer was reformatted/XP reinstalled.

Thanks for any suggestions on safe for dummies programs, lol.
    :)

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Here you go.
    Edit: CS Fire Monitor doesn't seem to have temps or fan speeds

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2007
  3. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Thanks! I'll check these out.

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

5. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Aha! Thanks, that's the program that I originally had before it was lost! Don't understand most of it, but it showed the temperatures. Thanks!

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

EVEREST Free Edition 2.20 doesn't report temps, as far as I can see. Even if it did, that's clearly not what it's primarily intended for. Why would you run a program that's designed to provide a complete report of your hardware, drivers, etc. just to get temps?

SpeedFan is a good temp monitoring utility. Leave it in your system tray all the time, if you want. It also provides info on voltages from your power supply and info on your hard drive.

7. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Hi!

I'll attach a picture of the screen where I found the temperatures in Everest. As a computer dummy, I don't understand all that the program has to offer, but this is what was suggested to me a long time ago to check my temperatures. I lost the program when the computer was reformatted/reinstalled XP.

Unfortunatly, the computer tower is located inside a poorly designed boxed in area, but its a beautiful large desk. I cut out a large hole in the back of the closed in area for the tower, and have had another fan installed to help circulate the air. I just want to watch the temperatures as it's predicted that it's gonna be a hot summer this year.

Attached Files:

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Oooops!

Those temps are ok and within tollerences, but the CPU one for me is a tad high ( as mentioned its likely within max limits and most CPUs have a 65c-70c top end before throttling kicks in to cool them down so save burnout ) as I would normally love to see a P4 between 40-50c max on stock cooling.

What CPU fan and heatsink do you have is the the stock one that came with CPU or the PC?

Whats your ambient room temps?

Where are all the fans in your PC located and which direction are they blowing ( in or out ), this is a crucial step in keeping a PC cool and wrong fan placement and direction of fans can cause dead air pockets that warm up.

Is the inside of your case tidy, are all the wires and cables neat and not obstruction the air from the fans? a tidy case can reduce the temps by as much as 5c. Plus is it dust free as that will increase temps too.

Yes having a PC inside a desk space will increase the temps, due to lack of circulation.

9. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

OK, I see that info in Everest now. However, I'll say again, Everest provides vastly more info than you need just for monitoring your temps. SpeedFan is a neat little utility program that is designed for monitoring temps and related factors.

SpeedFan displays one temp, whichever one you select, in the system tray, as shown here: [​IMG]

The tip box with the other temps appears when the mouse is hovered over the temp in the system tray.

Double clicking on the temp opens the SpeedFan panel, which looks like this:
    [​IMG]

10. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Hi!
    Ok, I took current screenshots of both Everest and Speedfan.
    I will work on answering some questions.......

Attached Files:

11. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Hi!

* If the temperature runs too high, will the computer automatically shut down to avoid possible damage?

* The computer is 2 years old, put together by a computer shop. I haven't changed anything on the computer, except for the installation of a new DVD burner (rarely used) and the extra fan that was installed at the back of the tower.
    * Looking at the back of the tower, I see 1 fan at the very top, next to the electrical cord plug in, (I can't see the back of the fan at all inside the case, I see like a box type thing). This fan blows out.
    * Just below the top fan on the back of the case, there are 2 individual fans (I can see the backs of them) (one was installed last year) which blows out.
    * Looking inside the case (left side of the case is clear which allows me to peek in) I see what looks like a fan on the right, pointing towards the right side of the case, but onto something, the fan has the words "Intel" printed on it. I can't tell if it's blowing against what it's placed against, or if it's blowing outwards, away from what it's placed against.
    * The inside of the case is extremely neat and tidy. Wires and cables are very organized.
    * The inside of the case was dusted when the DVD player was installed. From what I can tell, no dust, or incredibly minimal dust has accumalated since then.
    * Room temperature is at 23 Celsius (73 F)

I hope my details aren't confusing, lol, I don't have my camera here to better explain myself. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  12. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yes the CPU will throttle back to cool itself down. If temps get too high then first signs are random crashes in software and the OS, including re-boots.

The techy bit of Intel Thermal Managment
    http://www.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/CS-007999.htm

but the above is the crucial section.

Sounds as if the PC is really clean and tidy and doing everything possible to reduce heat, those fans are all pointing in the right direction for max airflow, but do you know if you have space in the bottom front of the case for a fan as that area is great to place a fan drawing air into the case?

13. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Hi! Thanks for your information.

As far as I can tell, I wouldn't be able to have another fan installed at the bottom front of the case. The bottom of the computer case has extra USB? slots, above that, looks like a box including the reset button, a green light and the power button. That brings us to the middle of the case where I see what looks like a box with my 3 1/2 floppy drive, then a posibble slot box, my CD drive box, then a possible slot box, then my DVD drive box. (sorry, my camera is still out on loan, lol)

The tower actually sits above the floor quite aways. I'm not good at measurements but it's almost "a hand in a half" above the floor. The case has "little round feet" built into it. Between the feet at the front, I can feel air movement, feels like there's vent holes cut into the bottom front of the case.

The computer has been off since 11am this morning, and was turned back on around 8pm. It's been a cool Spring day, also cool in the house 22C (71F). I took another screenshot as soon as the computer booted up tonight. I noticed that eventhough the computer has been off all day, the "Temp2" still has that fire icon????? (SpeedFan program)

I don't know what the following terms mean or what they represent in SpeedFan;
    Temp1
    Temp2
    Temp3
    HD0
    Temp1

Currently, if I look near my clock (from the SpeedFan program being minimized), the Temp1 reads 32, that hasn't changed since the computer has been on for about 2 hours now tonight. When I maximize the program and look at the Temp2, it pretty much stays at 55.

Thanks
    :)

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds