HELP . . Bad system restore , stuck at windows welcome screen

Discussion in 'Software' started by gooble, Dec 30, 2005.

1. gooble

gooble Private E-2

I did a system restore and when my PC attempted to restart I had a message say something like " had to fix an entry into the registry " after that the PC never actually shutdown, I am now stuck at the windows blue welcome screen!, I can move my mouse but thats about all I can do . . I tryed to boot in safemode and last known good settings but it gets as far as the win XP welcome screen and I am stuck again! :mad: plz help:rolleyes:

Windows XP pro sp2

2. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

Can you boot into Safe Mode /w Networking?

3. gooble

gooble Private E-2

nope , again it takes me to blue windows xp splash screen and stops there!

4. bjgarrick

Sounds like you are looking at a repair of Windows. Do you have the Windows disc?

5. gooble

gooble Private E-2

No unfortunatly my ex roommate built my pc and lives abroad now! , he used his version of windows!, I know now I need windows cd, but at the time (4 years ) ago I was a complete newbie and didnt even think about needing a windows cd! I will have to get hold of XP cd now :rolleyes:

6. bjgarrick

I have a few registry edits that could possibly fix this but you would need to boot into windows.

The only thing I can suggest is a repair of your OS. Without the Windows disc I can't really do much. Only do a repair of your OS with the disc that contains the install you have now, or else you will have activation problems.

7. gooble

gooble Private E-2

I just managed to boot into my /D hard drive and have access to my /C hard drive ! can I fix anything from here! I am also not logged onto admin like I normally am, also I am also in safemode

8. gooble

gooble Private E-2

Oh yeah , I also have REG MECHANIC should i run that on my /C HD windows registry!

9. bjgarrick

Let me get this straight, you have 2 hard drives, both with Windows installed on them, one is drive C one is drive D, correct?

You need to be logged into the OS with the problem if this is the case.

10. gooble

gooble Private E-2

yes 2 harddrives C and D, problem is with C windows , I can access C but cannot get any of the apps to run.
    Thanks for helping me btw :)

11. bjgarrick

You mean you can access C from the D drive, correct? Doing this doesnt do any good because you need to get into Windows, doing this Windows on the C drive isnt running.

12. gooble

gooble Private E-2

so if i cant get the actual original windows cd used on my C drive , I will never be able to access that drive again!! :eek:

13. bjgarrick

Unless you get into Windows there isnt anything I can do, the only other option I can think of would be a Repair of the OS using the Windows Disc. If you do a repair with a windows disc, not matching the install you have now, you will have a illegal copy of Windows and a activation problem.

If you can get into Windows, either mode we may be able to do something then but a repair would be the best solution.

14. gooble

gooble Private E-2

I am going to try and retreive this windows CD, if/once I get it do you have an email address , so I can contact you for the reg edits!

15. bjgarrick

After you get the Windows disc and run the repair you will no longer need them. The repair will fix your problem. If you have any troubles just reply to this thread and I will see it.

If you need help running the repair I will include the directions below.

16. gooble

gooble Private E-2

Thanks B, I will follow these steps and if you dont see any more posts from me here that means its all good, so fingers crossed :)

17. bjgarrick

Sounds good!

Good Luck!:)

18. gooble

gooble Private E-2

bjgarrick, I had to use my neibours xp pro to repair and it went ok up to the point where my PC went to start up windows only for it to keep on rebooting itself at just before the windows blue splash screen, however I am able to boot into (administration) safemode and everthing seems to be inorder apart from all my desktop files have gone missing! so i can not boot into normal mode, btw whats the difference between ADMIN and ADMINISTRATION !

19. bjgarrick

The "Administrator" account comes by default, the "Admin" account was most likely created by someone.

Did you actually complete the repair? You should not have used another disc as this causes activation problems and technically isnt legal.

20. gooble

gooble Private E-2

Ok I realised ADMIN was made by me or someone a while back (crazy roomate situation!), anyway I have been using ADMIN account all this time and now i know that all my desktop files are on that account.

As for the repair yes I let it complete and followed the steps like you told me and it stopped at 34 minutes left so I did some research and found out I had to pull out all my external hardware like speakers, drawing tablet ect.. and also had to bring up console and taskmgr and found out I had a maleware running in my process! after stopping that process I typed in setuplog and the installation started running again after staying on 34mins for like half an hour. anyway installation complete, didnt press any key to boot from cd and it reboots then load windows screen appears with load bar, then black screen and BAM reboot ! as I said I can get into safemode administration but not admin , admin tells me i have to activate but i can only do that in normall mode which as you know I cant boot into that mode. :confused:

21. bjgarrick

This is the problem I was talking about, why using another disc is not the way to do a repair.

The only way I can recommend to fix this is to reinstall the OS not a repair. Activation gets all messed up when you run a repair with a disc different than the OS installed.

22. gooble

gooble Private E-2

I just got the BSOD stop 0x0000007f, 0x00000000 after I turned that option on in system failure, now it sounds like hardware RAM, maybe I will just do a reinstall , i will do a memtest first and other checks on all my hardware:mad:

23. bjgarrick

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds