Help Before I Install Service Pack 2?

Discussion in 'Software' started by gracie312, Aug 2, 2006.

1. gracie312

gracie312 Private First Class

Hi;
    I installed SP 2 last year and had a lot of problems with it any finally removed it from my pc. Now I get this message saying that SP 1 will no longer be supported and I need to install SP 2 but it recommends I back up my system before doing so. There is no back up on my all programs list under system tools so I need to know how to do that and anything else I should know before I install SP 2 such as updating certain programs etc. Thanks, Chris

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

SP2 will actually do a backup before it installs, however, most just set a system restore point before they install it as an extra precaution.:)

3. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

The best way & the only way, IMO is to start off with a fresh install of XP

You said you had problems before, probably because it was installed on a dirty OS!
    Do you think this time will be different?

Ive installed SP2 Dozens of times, Never had one single problem, All were done on fresh clean installs of XP

4. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

What he said ^^^^^^^^^ No problems. ed

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

I've installed sp2 dozens of times with no problems, after I know for a fact that no malware was on a machine. Also, that any antivirus program was disabled.

Malware infected machine can/will affect a sp2 install. Also, occasionally, antivirus programs can cause issues.

IMH (tested) O. :)

Other than that, ignore my post, and use Asus' method. ;)

6. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

7. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Another thing you may want to consider is to download SP2 in full from MS, weighs in at 266MB, and use nLite to assemble the two and burn a new CD. This way you will only have to do a repair install using the newly made CD and grab the updates subsequent to SP2. All your installed applications and data will remain intact, well I've never lost a byte. Another advantage to this is that you save timeby not having to install them seperately which saves time. Anyways, doing it this way will give you a 'clean install' everytime, you just have to get the updates again!

8. gracie312

Would you be willing to walk me thru this procedure? I really don't want to deal with the types of problems I had last time! .........Chris

9. augiedoggie

Sure, be glad to but it's not really that hard.

Things that you absolutely need:
    CD burner
    Burning software like Nero that is capable of burning in an ISO format.
    nLite 1.0.1 downloaded from Major Geeks and installed.
    Your XP CD
    SP2 downloaded from Microsoft

Check out Nuhi's guide here. It's an excellent tutorial with screenshots, much better than I could do or have time for. If you get stuck, ask away. :)

Acouple of notes: If you see the CD Wizard pop in, just cancel it. Also create two folders in C: like XP and SP2 before you start and point to them when needed.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  10. gracie312

I didn't get a single XP CD with my pc. But I have a set of 8 system recovery CD's that HP sent me when I had to re-install XP last year. How do I know which one to use?

11. augiedoggie

Sorry, I have no idea but someone else hopefully knows.

12. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

Take a closer look at the CD's. They should be labeled between Recovery and Applications. Your OS is probably on the 1st one or 2 CD's. The rest are mostlikely all the pre-loaded software and trial crap.

13. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I agree with ASUS. Do it on a fresh install of XP.I just went through the very same with my son's PC and it worked fine on a clean install.

14. gracie312

Ok, I know some of you told me to install SP2 with a new XP install but I don't have an XP CD so I went to the Malware forum and followed the instructions on the sticky and made sure everything was up to date then installed SP2. Now my computer is freezing up. Can anyone tell me how to figure out what the problem is?

15. TimW

16. gracie312

17. TimW

18. gracie312

19. TimW

The concern was that if it is a Celeron based on the prescott platform it causes hangs in xp with sp2 .....the "fix" was on the previous post ....would suggest that you go to MS$ updates and check for system updates for your computer or that patch .....
    Control panel / add-remove programs / look for installed updates and see if you have KB885626.

20. theefool

theefool Geekified

21. gracie312

I read the info on the ms site for this fix and it doesn't really sound like the problem I'm having. It says the computer hangs when you try to re-start to finish install of sp2, but install was done 2 weeks ago, and several programs are freezing. Biggest problem occurred when I tried to copy pictures & videos from CD to hard drive the other day. Web pages are freezing and programs are slow to open, etc. The only hotfix I found in add/remove programs was "microsoft.net framework 1.1 KB886903". There were about 20-30 of them before I installed sp2. Also microsoft.net framework 2.0.

22. gracie312

Don't know what prescott platform is, and what patch? What exactly do I need to look for on the ms site? Don't mean to sound dumb, but can you be more specific? Thanx...

23. gracie312

Still having problems, can anyone help me figure this out?

24. TimW

Gracie ....if we haven't already done this, go to control panel, admin. tools, event viewer ....and look in the system and applications files that have an X ...click on the most recent ones and give us the error code.

25. gracie312

Application only shows one event 4609 0n 8/26 and lots of warnings. System shows event 7000 on 8/26 and 9, 11 on 8/22. Don't know how far back you want me to check.

26. TimW

In those system errors ....what service was trying to load that didn't? ...7000, 7009, 7011.

27. gracie312

Details say...ZPMODEMSYSNTDRVNT failed to load because driver is invalid. There was only one 7000. The rest are mostly 11 under the cdrom, because I'm having problems with my dvd drive. But that's a seperate issue. Right now the main issue is pages taking too long to load and programs freezing up. Anything else I can check?

28. TimW

Does this exist on your computer: C:\program files\IDesk?

I think you have a Wareout infection.

29. gracie312

Did a search for IDesk...results say no.

30. TimW

All the searches for that system error come back as malware ....Have you done the malware thing regarding these problems? (Sorry ...too busy right now to go thru all the posts on this) ...

31. gracie312

Did that whole thing before I started posting. Should I try it again? or just run adaware & spybot? What do you think?

32. TimW

33. gracie312

ran the ewido scan and it found several tracking cookies and I item that said Adware.coupons in C:\windows\cpbrkpie.ocx. It deleted the cookies and quarantined the adware. It didn't find anything serious though. Shut down and restart is taking a very long time now.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  34. TimW

Start / run / regedit ....look for this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\zpmodemsysntdrvnt

Tell me if it is there.

Also do a search for this:

idemlog.exe

35. gracie312

Th key is there. Didn't find idemlog.exe.

36. TimW

37. TimW

Spoke with Matt and he says:

IT IS MALWARE

check for this file.

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\zpmodemnt.sys.

Added by a trojan/spyware. It runs as an nt service so it will appear as an 023 entry in HJT (NON MS NT
    SERVICE)

38. gracie312

Should I switch this thread to the malware section so someone can look at my HJT log? It has 13 - 023 entries and I don't want to delete the wrong things. Not sure what an NT service is but I'm running win xp home, not win nt. Does this matter?
    Ran the Pest Patrol and found the zpmodem thing like this... "Backdoor.win32.agent.rw" The key under this entry is where I saw the zpmodem thing. But the Pest Patrol program wouldn't do anything with it unless I bought the program. Will any of my other spyware programs kill it?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  39. TimW

40. gracie312

I printed the NEW read and run. Will post in Malware when done. Thanks Tim for all your help. Really thought this was an SP2 issue. Guess I was wrong. Oh well, that's twice now. ;)

41. TimW

Would have liked to be able to contact you regarding these issues ...but you have no info on your profile ....the virus seems to be a back door and is a serious threat to your personnal info ....don't overlook the thread in malware about how to protect yourself.:)

42. gracie312

My email address is there. Feel free to contact anytime.

Edit: Snipped email address

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2006
  43. TimW

AHhhhh....edit that off your post ...add it to your private profile ...spammers will take it and spam city will ensue .....I got it.

44. TimW

Probably too late to edit ...asked admins to remove it for your protection.:)

45. gracie312

how do I edit? don't see an option

46. gracie312

thanks!!!

47. TimW

Halo came to the rescue ....do the things in the read and run first then let the guys in malware work with you to get you bug free and more protected.
    Will add you to my contacts on my IM.

48. gracie312

Cool, thanx

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds