HELP! BIOS ROM checksum error on Presario SR5027CL

Discussion in 'Software' started by MFA, Apr 14, 2011.

1. MFA

MFA Private E-2

I purchased new memory for my Compaq Presario SR5027CL and followed the advice to update my BIOS. I updated using HP's recommended BIOS update, and then the computer showed a black screen with ""BIOS ROM checksum error"" - and I could not use the on/off button on the computer. I unplugged, waited, plugged back in and same thing. I then put in my VISTA (32bit) recovery disk and unplugged/waited/plugged in and had same result. I seriously need help ASAP as I depend on that computer for my work.

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Re: BIOS update to SR5027CL failed - HELP please!

Hi,

I posted in the other thread. It looks like that is the correct ISO for your computer. Since the problem is related to a bad BIOS flash it should work for you.

This post and post #12 in that thread should help explain the basics. Feel free to ask for any more information or help.

3. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, MFA.

I suggest starting from scratch - you've got too many variables here.

Reinstall your original RAM, see if your symptoms change. If not, try to revert to your original BIOS version. Pull the CMOS battery for several minutes, see if defaults are loaded (you might even consider replacing the battery). Check all connections, especially hard drive.

4. MFA

MFA Private E-2

Hello,
    Thank you for replying. I apologize for my delayed response to Sach2 and Caliban. I had to shift my attention to a work assignment before spending time trying to repair my computer. Meantime I've read a bit about computer ISO files and memory in order to comprehend this better. Sach2 and Caliban offered me two different approaches to resolve my problem. Caliban suggests I reinstall my original RAM and if no symptoms change, try to revert to my original BIOS version. However, I never removed the original RAM as I was advised to update the BIOS prior to removing the original RAM. I am a bit confused about how to "revert to my original BIOS". If I could easily revert to the original BIOS without losing anything and then just switch out the old memory sticks for the new ones, that would be simple. Is there a simple way to revert to original BIOS? I can't use the on/off button to start/shut down the computer, so I unplug at the back of the computer. I had my husband plug it in while holding F2 but it made no difference. Since applying the HP recommended update for my BIOS all I have is a black screen. The first part of the message says "Award Boot Block version 1.0...checksum error"...and then quickly changes to a second screen showing "No physical memory is available..." I have a recovery disc (two disc set) and put the first one in the CD drive but it did not change the results. I have a 3-disc set that apparently I made at the same time as the recovery discs but for some reason did not label other than the name of the computer and date (2007). I also have a disc made using PC Doctor labeled Hardware Diagnostic Tools. I wondered if you think I could use any of these to bring my BIOS back. I checked the Compaq specs of my computer which as Sach2 says, shows the manufacturer's motherboard name as Asus M2N68-LA and the HP/Compaq name as Ivy-GL6. Is Caliban suggesting that the ""variables"" of my computer and/or particular situation create too great a risk to use the Ivy ISO download recommended by Sach2? I appreciate any further input and ""hand-holding"" to help me make a decision to move forward and regain use of my computer without loss of data. Thank you both for your time in considering my issue. Your generosity is much appreciated.

5. MFA

MFA Private E-2

Hello,
    I decided to try Sach2's approach to solving my computer problem and succeeded in flashing my BIOS. Now the bootable CD is in the drive and the screen shows: 1. FD 1.44 MB system type - (00)...starting...CuteMouse v 1.9.1 alpha 1 (free DOS) installed at PS/2 port...label not found...A:\>. So now the question is what do I safely do next? Thank you!!

6. sach2

Hi,

You posted in a couple of different sections. Caliban was responding to your post in the Welcome Center and I saw the detailed post in the Drivers section. The threads have been merged.

What has happened is that the Windows based BIOS flash/update has failed. It seems to be common on that board with that update (I don't know why Compaq has not removed that update since this has been happening to people for over a year--perhaps it does not happen to everyone but it happens to too many people).

BIOS is the most basic software system on your computer. Each time you start your computer BIOS runs and identifies the hardware in your machine and then passes that information to Windows. Windows cannot start without that information. Your BIOS has been corrupted so your machine can't even identify its own hardware. It will do nothing more than you see now unless you get a good copy of BIOS on the machine. Right now, you are running the BIOS recovery utility who's only purpose is to look for a BIOS update. It cannot identify anything more than the keyboard, graphics and CDROM needed to allow a BIOS update. So the only way forward is to flash the BIOS manually there is no other option (clearing CMOS by removing battery will not work because of the bad flash there is nothing to revert to).

If you haven't touched your memory then don't to eliminate any changes to the machine. (The memory error should only be showing when you have a System CD in the tray. Without a CD you shouldn't be seeing a memory error.)

Download the ISO http://www.mediafire.com/file/0nm2olgzmqy/BootIvy.iso and burn it to a blank CD using imgburn.

Download ImgBurn and install it.
    Put a blank CD in a working computer with a CD/DVD burner.
    Then run Imgburn and select Write Image File to Disc. Then for Source: Please select File>Click the first small folder icon to browse to the ISO file you downloaded Bootivy.iso. Click the large icon towards the bottom of the window to begin burning the CD.

When the CD is burned successfully put it in the tray and restart the computer.
    It should load up and give you an A:/ prompt.

Type in awdflash.exe <enter>
    For filename type in ivy.rom <enter>
    Read the warnings and press Y to program.

That should be it.

****For your reference I have just put the BIOS update from Compaq with the award flash program needed to update the BIOS into an ISO format that can be burned to make a bootable CD. It will be accepted this way where it did not run correctly under Windows.

Again please ask if you need clarification.

7. MFA

MFA Private E-2

Hi,
    Thanks I did as you suggested and now I have a black screen with the a:\> prompt. The boot cd is still in the drive and I don't know what to do next.

8. sach2

Do the following: (If you are presented with the option to save the old BIOS just type any short name like old.bin. If you aren't prompted to save it is not a problem since there is nothing to save.) When entering "ivy.rom" for the filename to program it must be all lowercase. The screen will look something like this when you start award.exe http://support.asus.de/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments_content.aspx?no=532&SLanguage=en-us

Type in awdflash.exe <enter>
    For filename type in ivy.rom <enter>
    Read the warnings and press Y to program.

It should warn you not to turn off power. It should within 10 minutes say update successful. If after 10 minutes it doesn't say update successful. Remove the CD and restart the computer.

9. MFA

MFA Private E-2

Yes, thank you, I now have my computer working again! I still have new memory to install. I plan to turn off the computer, unplug it and open it up, remove the old, insert the new and reassemble. Am I skipping anything? Any advice would be appreciated!

10. sach2

That is about it. Touch a piece of metal to the case after unplugging it to disperse static electricity. And make sure the new RAM is firmly in the slot, if the clips go back in place it is firmly seated.

Good Luck! :)

Please let me know for future reference:
    Did it prompt to save old BIOS or just ask for the filename of the new BIOS?
    Did it say the update was successful or did you have to wait the 10 minutes?

11. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Had a feeling the BIOS reversion would work - good job, guys. :major

12. MFA

MFA Private E-2

Hello,
    Thank you, Sach2 and Caliban for your interest in my dilemma and support. I am now on my Compaq Presario desktop computer with updated BIOS and new memory. Whew! Without you this would not be the case! Sach2 asked me to supply answers to these two questions: ""Please let me know for future reference: 1) Did it prompt to save old BIOS or just ask for the filename of the new BIOS? 2) Did it say the update was successful or did you have to wait the 10 minutes?"" First: I did not see a prompt to save the old BIOS. Instead it immediately went to a screen which required the file name and I typed that in just as Sach2 described in his instructions. Second: there was no message stating the update was successful, however, the screen in which I typed the file name had a series of rectangular shapes and as the BIOS was being loaded, each successive rectangle changed color. There was a color code chart beneath this area that described the difference in the original rectangle, the one that accepted the new BIOS data, and if one was defective. (This looked much like the animated chart you see when you defrag your computer). Soon after the computer displayed the last rectangle change, the screen changed to the black screen which showed: ""Award BIOS flash utility v8.83 flash type SST 25VF040B 4MB 3.3V file name ivy.rom"" and then showed a COMPAQ logo on the screen with v5.14 in the lower left corner. The screen changed again and showed 1. FD 1.44 MB system type - [00] starting (space) CuteMouse v1.9.1 alpha 1 (free DOS) installed at PS/2 port... label not found... A:\>.......at this point I left the computer running with the boot disc in the CD and did nothing until I posted a reply via my laptop to the thread here and then received a reply from Sach2. He suggested I wait 10 minutes, remove the CD and then restart the computer. More than 10 minutes elapsed so I did this and it started by showing the Compaq logo screen with v5.14 in the lower left corner; then showed Microsoft Corp logo; a long delay with a black screen; then went to Windows and my logon screen. For the benefit of others: I was trying to be careful before adding memory to my computer, so I trusted HP/Compaq when they told me I needed a BIOS update and downloaded that from the HP/Compaq Support site. The BIOS update supplied by HP was No. sp40912.exe. It is this update that caused the problem. Another insteresting point is that HP/Compaq Support did not have any information cautioning me to have an ISO file available and it is this ISO file that was provided by Sach2 that solved my problem and allowed me to regain use of my computer. Without the interest, knowledge and generosity of people like Sach2 and Caliban, I would have wasted a lot of time and HP's error would have cost me money and additional grief. This is a perfect example of the positive social benefits of the internet. Again, my thanks to you, Sach2 and Caliban!

13. sach2

I just wanted to say thanks for your kind words. :)

I really appreciate the detailed reply describing what you saw on the screen at each step. I'm sure it will be helpful to others looking for help solving a bad BIOS flash on a Compaq motherboard Ivy-GL6. I don't have that model motherboard and have never been able to run through the last two steps myself to see what happens after it begins flashing.

I must say you have a terrific memory or some other method for logging events on your computer. I can't imagine a more precise recounting of events.

Thanks again!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds