Help-Cannot get past log on page with XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by mindnmuscl2, Feb 26, 2006.

1. mindnmuscl2

mindnmuscl2 Private E-2

Hello
    I have a 4 year HP pavillon desktop 520. 1.3GHZ Celeron/ 40gb HDD/ XP SP2 ..pretty up to date with virus protection/ firewall, etc.

I am doing this entry from my backup laptop. Let me explain what is going on.
    When I startup the computer it brings me as normal to my blue XP log on page with my 1 user profile name. I click on the user profile name( only 1 user profile in standard mode) and I have a password to enter to pull my settings.
    I type in my password, click OK as usual and it changes the on screen message to the usual " loading user settings"....

Everything to now was normal today, execept that after typing in my password, clicking OK, and getting the "loading user settings" message, it logs me off right on the same screen and says " saving user settings".... it then announces the log off with that intel/ windows music we all know.
    I am then back to my log on screen with my user name box to click and start again.
    I tried to get in several times and each time it loops back to this log on almost instantly.
    I never get to my desktop page and I never get past my initial log on entry.

This just started today. I do have to mention that I tried booting into safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with prompt, and even "last known good configuration" and although I get the user profile log on screen, I still am logged off as soon after entering my password and clicking ok.

I hope I am not screwed. I had some issues with one antivirus program I downloaded-- AntiVir, it slowed my system down so much and caused so much conflict with Avast and other programs, I did an uninstall on it yesterday 2/25. Everything was fine, all yesterday, my log on worked, my desktop was fine and it ran normal with my DSL and firefox
    I know nothing malicious has occured because I am using my laptop and have checked all my private files.

How can I get past the log on page so it does not shut me down.
    Is it possible I have deleted some registry entry or something else in quest to clean up my system?

Any suggestions, I am completely baffled?

2. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Can you log on in Safe Mode?

To have two resident Anti-virus scanners on a system will always cause conflicts. It is possible that your user profile is corrupt.

3. mindnmuscl2

mindnmuscl2 Private E-2

thanks for the reply, No unfortunately I cannot get past the log on page in safe mode for either of the 2 profiles listed there( one is admin and the other is my normal log on user name) ..everytime I input my password and it starts with" loading user settings" it starts to log me off as I get the message stating it is loading my user settings, weird.

I understand now the implications of the issues with 2 resident virus scanners, it was avast and Anti-vir which conflicted. Silly me, I had both on start up and had to work quite patiently to maneuver over to control panel to remove the anti-vir software after 3-4 complete system freezes.

If I cannot get past my log on page without it shutting me down, what options to do I have?
    I am not too technical so if a suggestion is to boot a different way, I would be willing to try but may need alittle handholding to do it.

:confused:

4. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Private First Class

Have you tried the last known good configuration option? It is an option when you press F8 when booting.

5. mindnmuscl2

mindnmuscl2 Private E-2

I have tried the last good configuration option in safe mode, since my system seems to think the log in that I do is "good" it just let's me log in as normal from the XP log in page and quickly logs me out.
    I have also tried using the ADMIN log on from the safe mode with networking help since there is a user profile I setup in safe mode for an admin, there is no password so I click on it and it starts to setup the user and then quickly goes back to the log off motion just as it does with my user profile...
    I tried every option from safe-mode, I cannot seem to get past the log in page which then stays on the page I just entered my password into and says " Logging off" "Saving your settings".
    It is as if the computer is tricked into thinking my entering my password for my user name is a prompt to log off....

I am getting worried about this..... :eek:

6. Dawnpatrol

Only other thing I can think of is to do a restore from the Xp cd.

7. mindnmuscl2

mindnmuscl2 Private E-2

Well, I kind of thought about that option.... On a scale of 1-10, I am probably a 3-4 in terms of tech knowledge. In all honesty, is this something that should be done by a paid tech or can someone like myself, with limited knowledge do it?
    I only have the CD for XP that came with my laptop, I do not have for some reason the CD from HP with system recovery disc.

Here are my questions to start:
    1) Can a newbie do a restore?

2) Should I try and download anything from MS website and if so what?

thanks

8. Dawnpatrol

Yes, a newbie can do a restore. You'll need to boot from the cd. Choose the repair option. It will search the computer for bad files. You don't have to do anything else.

9. rjwilson441

rjwilson441 Private E-2

$ about 50$ a comp repair could fix if u have orginal disk, if no disk u may not want to spend a lot of money to fix! the best thing to do with a new system is 2 buy a 2nd hard drive , copy the system , and save it some where, its easy to loose a disk but HD's dont disapear so easy.

10. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

If mindnmuscl2 didn't mind paying a computer technician to fix the computer, I'm sure he/she would have already done so. Seeing as he is here asking for help, I don't think he wants to spend money; and he doesn't have to. Don't advise people to buy hardware when there is absolutely no need for that. Dawnpatrol has things under control in this thread; otherwise I would have posted again before now.

Address the issue at hand or don't comment at all.

11. mindnmuscl2

mindnmuscl2 Private E-2

Hi everyone, been busy and tried some suggestions for getting past XP log on screen.
    Nothing seems to get me past my log on screen without it logging me off... so
    I guess I need to pursue the idea of XP system repair/reinstall as mentioned.( Unless there other ideas).
    I have never done this so please be kind when you explain.

As I mentioned, the computer is 4 yrs old and came preinstalled with windows XP (under name of whistler) when you see the info on safe-mode. I did not get a windows recovery disk and for some reason my HP recovery CD holder is empty. I have looked all over for it. The only thing I have is a windows XP disk that came with my laptop last april. I have XP/SP2 on both systems, so would only an XP disk be an issue?
    ==Can I do my repair from that XP disk?

Once I turn on my computer, what key # would I hit to allow me to boot from a disc. And then what options do I look for or is there an on screen prompt?

Would I lose any of my desktop info, files, folders, etc upon doing this?

I appreciate everyone's patience, I am hoping I have all the tools to attempt this repair. If I need anything else please let me know. I can see if I can obtain it by using my laptop.

thanks
    :)

12. mindnmuscl2

mindnmuscl2 Private E-2

I managed yesterday to use my XP disc from my new laptop and popped it in the CD ROM of the laptop.
    I never did a bios setup change and took awhile to figure out which key allows me to do it....some told me F2, some F9, so I went to F10( hp system recovery key) and then F11...which gave me the blue screen where you can find a boot tab....
    I switched sequence to have it boot first from CD ROM and it then proceeded to ask me after hitting any key, whether I wanted a repair or install.
    I thought repair and started that up....waited 40 min and it finished.

I received one error message screen which made of course no sense to me...
    (Something along the lines of " if you are seeing this screen for the first time you have an error and it went on to describe how I need to restart the system and if it appears again then I need to boot to safe mode and disable some of the drivers or something. It also stated that the error was around "mountmgr.exe" or something like that(sorry, I did not write it down) ..

Restarted in normal mode, Xp LOG ON screen came up with my user name, entered my password as usual and it started to open up. Suddenly as it has done since sunday, I got the " logging off" saving settings message right on the log in page..... SIGH... :confused:

Anyway, what next? If do the install option what happens to my computer, is everything(files,photos, etc) all wiped out and it is a fresh clean OS or is there a way to have the install not wipe anything out.
    I am completely clueless on what now for me to do and would like to hear from those in the know on what choices I have and also the step by step instructions....
    Sorry to be so clueless.... :rolleyes:

13. Dawnpatrol

You would not lose your pictures and such unless you chose for it to reformat the hard drive. The problem is you would have to reinstall the programs that you have. Also, do you know the product key for that computer? You can use the cd that came with your laptop but you will need the key that the computer used. You can't use the same key on more than one computer. Do you have the cd's for the programs that you have installed? If not, then you'll have problems with that as well. Since you won't be able to uninstall them.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds