Help - cannot stop booting in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by alisen, Jan 29, 2006.

1. alisen

alisen Private E-2

Hello -
    I have a terrible problem that began today on my other laptop. It involves svchost.exe and an error that it cannot "read".

I was attempting to follow the steps posted for cleaning and checking, and got as far as starting in safe mode. I used the instructions suggested at http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...ent&ExpandSection=3&Src=sec_doc_nam#_Section3 per the suggestions, and it worked like a charm. EXCEPT - due to a long story, the computer has XP professional and I am not an admin (involves a laptop given to my husband by his company and then forgotten - hence I got it). Anyhow, now I can't stop it from booting in safe mode, and I cannot log in in safe mode - leaving me STUCK.

I tried various ways of using f8 - which did work, but when I say start windows normally, I guess it is looking at the /bootsafe option, and there it is.

Is there anything that I can do at a command line to turn off the option - and I guess will have to run the other stuff in normal mode. Still, for now, I'd like to be able to get in, maybe save some files because I suspect a complete reinstall of my own copy of windows is in order.

Any help will be gratefully appreciated!

Alisen

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds