HELP!! Can't Install my Lexmark IJ1200 driver onto VISTA!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by guysmom, May 31, 2008.

1. guysmom

guysmom Private E-2

OK...here's the issue: Bought a Toshiba VISTA laptop yesterday. (HAD a Compaq XP laptop that died). It's a VISTA w/Service Pack 1. All seems to be OK EXCEPT that I CAN'T INSTALL my Lexmark IJ1200 driver onto VISTA......here's what I've found out so far:

First of all, when trying to install the original installation CD, I get a message about NT 4.0 drivers being blocked. IS THERE SOMEWAY TO UNBLOCK THIS??

Next, when I go to the Lexmark site, there are several choices to choose from in selecting a driver for VISTA. I have to choose from either plain Vista32 or
    Vista 64. I believe I have Vista 32, because when I right-click on the "computer" icon, it says 32 bits. So I downloaded the plain VISTA Lexmark driver (cjr1200EN.exe). Also, disabled anti virus as directed, EACH TIME I try this!!

What happens is that it starts installing, but then gets to a point where it gives the option of either being connected via a USB port or through a shared printer. MINE is connected through a USB port. HOWEVER, and THIS IS THE KICKER, the "CONTINUE" button greys up here, and DOESN'T SEEM TO BE ABLE TO TELL THAT I HAVE CONNECTED THE USB CABLE WHEN PROMPTED!!! The "CONTINUE" button STAYS GREYED OUT!! BUT if I choose "shared printer" the "Continue" button can be clicked and then I'm prompted to enter the names of the shared/other printer, WHICH IS IRRELEVANT TO ME!!!

SO.......just to be sure, I also downloaded the Vista 64 driver (cjs1200EN.exe) (after deleting the other driver, naturally, and restarting Windows).

So it seems like the problem is somehow connected to the USB cable NOT BEING SEEN BY THE VISTA!!! Could that be it??? Is ther a fix for this?? I've got 4 USB ports on the laptop, and NEITHER of them work for this install. HOWEVER, they work when I hook up a device that lets me read off my old laptop hard drive!!!

CAN YOU OFFER ANY HELP???? Thanks in advance!!

2. nickerdoodle

nickerdoodle Private E-2

I probably won't be much help on this...I tolerated Vista on my laptop for only a few months before I went back to XP (and have been much happier ever since). But Vista did have some cool stuff and I hope you can make it work for you.

I don't have any answers for you, just a couple thoughts. Out of curiosity, have you tried connecting anything else through that USB port? Like maybe a flash drive? That might help you determine whether or not that's the issue. You also might try all of your USB ports (I have 4 I think). Maybe you'll need to install a driver for your USB ports? That seems obsurd, but who knows with vista :) Good luck!

3. guysmom

guysmom Private E-2

Well nickerdoodle, here's what I did. I do have a flash drive, and I tried it on all 4 USB ports....no problem reading the drive.

Then I got out my older Canon Bubble Jet Printer, and hooked it up to the VISTA laptop. VISTA recognized it IMMEDIATELY, and the Canon Bubble Jet works fine!

I also used the SAME USB CORD when trying out the Canon Bubble Jet that I use on my Lexmark, so I know it's not the USB cord!!

IF I COULD ONLY FIGURE OUT WHY THE LEXMARK DRIVER INSTALLATION FOR VISTA WON'T LET ME CHOOSE USB AND CLICK CONTINUE WHEN IT'S TRYING TO INSTALL!!! That has me floored!!!

Thanks for your suggestions, tho. I at least eliminated any problem with the USB ports and the USB cable!!

Anyone else have a theory as to why, when I try to run the Lexmark VISTA driver installation program, IT WON'T LET ME CHOOSE USB AND CONTINUE, BUT MAKES ME CHOOSE "SHARED PRINTER" WHEN I'M NOT SHARING A PRINTER???

4. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

My Lexmark x6150 has been hit and miss with Vista. I have a custom desk top, toshiba laptop on vista and another desktop with XP tied to the printer. I worked like that for almost a year. I swapped the desk tops and none could print. Swapped it back and now most often to print I need to go to the XP machine.

I don't blame Vista or MS but Lexmark (and other manufacturers) needs to support their older products better.

5. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Hey guys - let's keep it to answering the OP's specific questions. The Lounge is for general discussion, not the tech forums :)

6. 1111

1111 Private E-2

Try going to the lexmark website and find the driver of your printer. To find out if your running 64-bit or 32-bit, go to start, click on control panel. In the classic menu, click on system. In system, look for system type. It will tell you weather you are running 64-bit or 32-bit operating system. I hope this helps you out.
    I myself have been having trouble installing software that has operating systems labeled from 98-xp. If vista isn't labled on the disc or the box, it won't work. I have been surfing the internet for a solution but haven't been able to find one. I found this site and wanted to help you. So i won't be here any more to answer any replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds