Help choosing a new LCD monitor(s)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Major Attitude, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Not too happy with my current choice (too much ghosting in games, etc.) and have been dying to try a dual monitor system, so I am considering dual 17" LCD monitors, but I want to play games and see video without tearing, etc.

Here are some of my concerns:

Company with a GREAT dead pixel policy. Wont stand for dead pixels.
    Fast response time, 12 ms or so.
    Good Brightness
    Good contrast ratio

Interested in anyones opinions, if they have a monitor they are happy with all around or maybe have seen some reviews to some really good LCD monitors. Obviously this would even include just a company you know has a good dead pixel return policy.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Sergeant

I got a Princeton Graphics 17" earlier this year, March. It had 2 dead pixels right off the bat. I got it from Tiger Direct. Could've got a different one, but it ain't that big a deal to me. Anyway, I am happy with the performance. All my games look fine. One thing you should know: Keep the refresh at 60 Hz. They don't work as well at higher refresh like the CRT's have to have.

3. Major Attitude

I know about refresh rates I have a Samsung 213t, 21" LCD now... It is just an older model and not capable of the faster response times some have now.... I was considering a Samsung 17", but figured someone might have some thoughts.

The dead pixels are something that just annoys me a lot, so a companies policy is important to me at this point.

4. SiLenZe

SiLenZe Private First Class

i have the DELL UltraSharp 2001FP 20.1-inch Flat Panel LCD
    16ms here is a review http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=1918
    no dead pixels, no ghosting, no blotchy colors
    dells return policy is top notch, and great customer service.
    whats also cool is you can hook up a dvi-analog-svideo-composite video source and switch between them at a push of a button. also you can run picture in picture with the svideo or composite. have tv/dvd/xbox running while you work!

5. Major Attitude

Hmm, did not even consider Dell, but will take a look. Probably going to drop down to 17" just on a cost basis, but I will consider Dell.

6. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

7. Major Attitude

Nice monitor, only downside might be it looks like ti has speakers and a bit wide to the sides for a dual monitor setup. If I wanted a single, thats an excellent price considering the response time. Good choice!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds