Help! Clean install of XP - now I have whistler - what is it!

Discussion in 'Software' started by breaksguy, Oct 10, 2005.

1. breaksguy

breaksguy Private E-2

I did a clean install of windows xp. everthing went as should. Now that I am done, I have something called Microsoft Windows Whistler Personal.

What is it?

Why is it there?

How do I get rid of it?

I have used this disk three times before and never has this whistler popped up before.

Please help because my new comcast internet is not working and the error I get is "Could not accurately detect your operating system"

thank you
    breaks guy

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Go to start, run, and type winver.

Post your full Windows build number.

3. Blueheeler

Blueheeler Private E-2

Whistler was the original MS codename for XP. It has been known to mysteriously pop up sometimes with earlier versions of XP.

If you are getting a boot menu with the option to boot to XP or Whistler, choose XP. When bootup is finished, click on Start -> Run -> Type msconfig -> Click on the Boot Ini tab then click on Check all boot paths. If a path is returned as invalid, click Fix invalid boot paths.

Regards, Blueheeler.

4. breaksguy

breaksguy Private E-2

ok, i will try this tonight. i am work on the net now. i'll post again about what i find tonight or tomorrow

thanks
    breaks guy

5. breaksguy

breaksguy Private E-2

do you guys know how to get into dos so i can delete the partitions and do a clean install?

thanks
    breaks guy

6. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Why do you want to do it that way?

Just use the XP CD and set your Bios to boot from CD.

7. breaksguy

breaksguy Private E-2

well, i want to do it that way because i allready did the install by booting from the cd. and when i did that, i got stuck with this whistler boot path. I'd like to try from dos in an attempt to not install this whistler

do you know how to do it?

thanks
    joe

8. breaksguy

breaksguy Private E-2

the build number is:

Version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp 1.020828-1920: Service Pack 1

this is also after I tried blueheeler's instructions.

I was able to delete the boot path and everything seems to be working ok now.

But why was it there in the first place?

I have reformatted before and did not have this problem. Why now?

thanks
    joe

9. DSorcerer

DSorcerer Private E-2

you cannot use dos to run setup with xp it dosent support this option

10. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

There is no DOS with XP, you have a Recovery Console and a Command Console. Both of which look like DOS but it's not DOS.

Whistler is the XP Codename, just change it in boot.ini. Matter of fact just post a copy of your boot.ini. In Windows do the follwing:

Start -> Run
    notepad c:\boot.ini
    OK

Now copy your boot.ini into your reply.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds