Help configuring IE6

Discussion in 'Software' started by syphon, Apr 16, 2003.

1. syphon

syphon Private E-2

Does anyone know how I can configure IE6 to automatically launch a program to handle certain file types. For example, if I click on an .mp3 file, it automatically launches WinAmp and starts playing the file, without downloading the entire file before playing?

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Ill try this one, not sure if I got your right though.

You can configure extensions and to what program opens it, but then you can simply click an mp3 and play, you have to open it. My suggestion, if its on a website, would be to right click and "save file as".

You mentioned IE6, so I am assuming your downloading an MP3 from a website, this would work easier without modifying the program you want to play the MP3.

3. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

Not all media can be streamed.

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

and not all servers are set up for streaming media..

5. syphon

syphon Private E-2

Thanks for the input; I appreciate the help.

I think what I'm trying to figure out is where IE6 has a "file helper", which basically tells IE what program to use for certain filetypes. I just built this computer and did a clean install of WindowsXP so as a result I have all new IE6 settings. My old configuration allowed the file I'm clicking on to be streamed, so I have to assume it's just a matter of the settings not being the same with the new computer.

Thanks again!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds