Help! Disappearing Items!!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by hardrive, Apr 24, 2005.

1. hardrive

hardrive Private First Class

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but within the last couple of weeks, I've had some of my IE Favorites folders just disappear on me. Also, I've had Desktop Icons sort of disappear on me also. With the IE Favorite folders, I noticed one day that my "Emoticon" folder wasn't there any longer. Also, one day I noticed that my "Cars" folder was not in order alphabetically and was at the top of my Favorites list and when I tried to drag it down to it's proper place, it kind of just disappeared right in front of my eyes. And with my Desktop Icons, I created a Desktop Shortcut from my Windows XP "Accesories," and now the Desktop Shortcut has changed from an icon of a calculator, to a little blank white square with a blue bar at the top of it with three little white buttons on the right side of the blue bar. When I click on little blank white square, I get a small window that says: "Missing Shortcut. Windows is searching for calc.exe." After it finds the shortcut, I get a little bit bigger window that says: "Problem with Shortcut" on it. It also says:

"The item 'calc.exe' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or removed, so this shortcut will no longer work properly.

Nearest match based on size, date, and type:
    C\WINDODWS\TASKMAN.EXE

Do you want to fix this shortcut to point to this target or do you just want to delete it?"

What does this all mean? Why is my shortcut "changed or removed"? I certainly didn't change or remove it. Should I be concerned about some type of underlying intrusive program existing in my computer? Also, my Windows XP calculator is no longer listed under my "Accessories" programs. :eek: Can someone help me?

2. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

You probably draged and droped your cars folder into another folder.
    And your calculator is also not in its original place.The white box with the blue bar is an invalid shortcut dont associate with taskman because taskman is not calc.
    Maybe you restored your browser settings or something that maybe why the favorites folder is missing.
    Anyway check for spywares.

3. hardrive

hardrive Private First Class

Thanks, Kadavill. You were right on the money concerning me having dragged and dropped my folders in another folders. Actually, I checked about half my folders and it was like lifting up your sofa and finding all kinds change. :) I found a lot of old vanished folders that I had forgotten about. Now, as far as not associating the invalid shortcut with taskman, could elaborate a little bit more on that? On the one small windows that said: "Problem with Shortcut," it gave me three choices to fix the shortcut, which were: "Fix it," "Delete it," and "Cancel." So then, if I shouldn't fix the shortcut with taskman, how should I fix it? Also, my calculator is no longer there when you click "Start" -> "All Programs" -> and "Accessories."(I think that's where my windows calculator originally was.) Do you have any thoughts on this?

4. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

Dont fix any shortcut,or you will have taskman open instad of calc.
    What you have to do is search for the original calc,looks like it is somewhere else.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds