Help! Display Drivers

Discussion in 'Software' started by Zhou Zen, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Zhou Zen

Zhou Zen Private E-2

My pooter is old and needs updating, I have been able to get it running nicely (almost :p) but I need new display drivers. I dont have the cd's (scavenged pooter) and I don't want to sign up and pay for anything.

I have a pic of what is wrong but it's all double dutch to me.

Can someone help please?!

2. eyeblazin

eyeblazin Private First Class

Download and install Everest (which is free) and you can find out the brand for the motherboard and other installed components get the drivers from the manufacturers website. Drivers are typically free.

Link to Everest below:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/EVEREST_Free_Edition_d4181.html

3. Zhou Zen

Zhou Zen Private E-2

i did a scan for what was wrong (which was free, the upgrade was not lol) and it said that is was my IDE controller which was the problem

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Which display card did Everest tell you, you had? post its name and we maybe able to locate drivers that are compatible for it FREE.

5. Zhou Zen

Zhou Zen Private E-2

I did a windows update and got most of it sorted so the last thing is my IDE controller.

Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

(old I know, my computer is, as far as I know, an original windows 95 setup, i just dont have the money at the moment to buy a new one :( )

It also doesnt say a specific display card, so these are whats under my display file.

Xpert@Play (atir3) (4mb)
    ATI 3D-Rage Pro

6. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

7. Zhou Zen

Zhou Zen Private E-2

it wont let me run it i have to find my gameboy emulator or something to unzip it. any way around that?

8. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Uhhh. Winzip.

9. Zhou Zen

Zhou Zen Private E-2

lol i know i know. im an idiot :p

i realised that after i posted.

got the files ready to install but it says that my operating system is not supported. im only running 98se

10. DavidGP

Intel are starting to remove all old chipsets as they are not being supported any more, but this one does support the Intel 440BX chipset which that chipset controller you posted.

So install this first as MA mentioned above
    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...ID=816&DwnldId=4241&strOSs=All&OSFullName=All Operating Systems&lang=eng

It is the one for win95 win98 and is an .exe file so no unzipping needed.

then for graphics you could try this ( the Driver listed under RAGE PRO )
    http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/98me/legacy-98me.html

Win95 is not much supported these days and as such drivers are rare to find easily... so please double check the PC is running Win95, at bootup the windows splash screen will tell you this.

11. Zhou Zen

Zhou Zen Private E-2

it works!
    cheers for ya help guys :D

12. DavidGP

No probs.. glad you have it sorted :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds