Help - Domain Being Spoofed, Email Not Being Delivered

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Usc90grad, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Usc90grad

Usc90grad Private E-2

I have my own business and within the last month, I have been getting a lot of emails that I did not send returned as undeliverable. I did some surfing and found out someone is spoofing my domain.

I don't mind the returned email. Sure it's a hassel, but I can deal with it.

However lately email that I send is not being delivered. Customers are calling and asking why I haven't sent them a quote when I actually did days earlier. Some of my email is being delivered, but usually to people who I have emailed with for a long time. So it only appears email to new contacts is what is affected.

I have asked several customers to check their spam folders, but most say there is nothing there or they just don't know how to check.

I have no clue how to solve this. Someone please help!!

2. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Private First Class

Do you have your own mail server or does your email go through your ISP's mail servers? It may be that you have been black listed. You can use a site like www.robtex.com to determine if the IP address of your sending mail server is on a real-time black list (RBL). Do you have access to any logs on your side to see what an SMTP session to one of these destinations looks like so you can determine where/why it's dropping? You can also ask your recipients for a technical contact on their side to determine if they drop emails based on RBLs. Send them a test message and ask them if they can check their firewall logs to determine if they see SMTP traffic from your mail server. If they do, see if they can tell you why they aren't accepting your email. If the destination server is dropping messages based on RBLs, as opposed to quarantining them, then the end user may never even see a trace of your message.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds