Help! E-Machine Boot up trouble

Discussion in 'Software' started by juana1824, Jun 13, 2007.

1. juana1824

juana1824 Private E-2

Hi:

Hopefully someone here can help me with my problem. I purchased an E-machine for my boyfriend last year (will have to go home and check model). The problem we are having is that when we 1st turn on the computer it makes a humming noise as if only the fans were working but i am not able to see the screen turn on (just is completely black). I am able to turn off the computer by pressing the power button until the computer is completely off because if I just press it once it wont shut down. Also, if I give it a few minutes and try to turn back on..the computer works and I am able to use it as I normally would. I am sure this is not good for the computer to turn on then off then on again because obviously there is a problem. Hoepfully someone can help me.

Thank you in Advance,
    Juana

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

It could be a couple of different things, but it's most likely the power supply. EMachines are notorious for using :crap power supplies. I'd get it checked out/replaced before it does any more damage like burn up your mother board. Any local independent PC store should be able to check it out and replace the power supply with a decent new one for under $60-$80 including parts and labor.... there's a good chance that it will be less than that.... I see Emachine power supplies fail ALL the time and do all sorts of weird things so I'm pretty sure that's your problem.
    :major Welcome to MajorGeeks :major

hd2k

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

hi Juana, welcome to Major Geeks.

Yeah we gotta speciala dumpa for Emachina power supply units ova heah.

Seriously the next time you switch it on successfully.

Save your data by copying it somewhere else

Then do as Dave advises it should be a reasonably cheap repair.

Studio T

4. juana1824

juana1824 Private E-2

Hi guys:

Thanks for your replies. I tried doing a system restore...a friend recommended but it did not work at all. A couple of questions.

"Save your data by copying it somewhere else" - How do I go about doing this??? I dont have any particular files that are earth shattering..they can be replaced...the only program I have is the Norton Antivirus which I paid about $80 dollars or so that I wish not to lose and have to re-purchase. :eek:

Also, I live in Chicago..is it better to go on line or is there a particular model for the e-machines (as I wouldnt know where to start) that I could research on0line. One last questions, by purchasing this PSU..would this problem happen again or would that solve itconfusedconfused

Thanks again..it is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!
    ;)Juana;)

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

You should be able to find plenty of suitable local suppliers in the Windy City, or you can go on line.

If you are doing this yourself,
    Disconnect from the power outlet
    Take off the side opposite all the external connectors
    Look for a rectangular metal box in the back corner withs loads of wires coming out internally and the mains cord externally.
    It is secured by 4 cross head screws to the back release these and unplug the connectors from all the boards.
    Make a list as you do this and note which way the cable colours run
    When you have it out look at the rating plate on the box.
    This will say something like Total Power 250 Watts.
    Take it to your supplier and get one at least 50 watts higher. With the same arrangement of connectors and fixing screws.
    They are standard in size and shape etc but there are several standards so it is important to get one of the correct type.
    Also make sure the fan grille blows out in the same place.

Install the new one using the reverse proceedure and away you go.

Let us know how you get on.

Studio T

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds