HELP! .exe files acting strange

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dgarrr2, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Dgarrr2

Dgarrr2 Private E-2

Today I was on an internet form looking up this and that, and I was inflicted with a virus. AVG quickly removed it and I thought I was safe. I then moved to open firefox when it asked what I wanted to open firefox with. I found out that with all programs I must now, when prompted, go and select within system fiels what I want to open. If I click a .exe directly within the system file, I still need to tell firefox to open itself. No matter how many times I do this, a program also wont remember how to open itself either, so the process is often repeated. Any idea whats going on? Im running Windows 7 Home Premium.

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi,

Read the instructions for merging the file to the registry here. and then scroll down to the Exe fix download link.

3. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

If what sach2 said doesn't work you may have to reboot into a recovery console and run sfc /scannow

If exe files wont open it's likely the command prompt wont open to run this command so you will have to do it via a recovery console.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds