Help formatting hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wolfywolf, Nov 30, 2008.

1. wolfywolf

wolfywolf Private E-2

So I recently had to wipe and format my drive, but Im unsure if I did it correctly so I would like to know what any of you think.

I used Seagate DiscWizard to format it, and ended up with a logical drive with an extended partition. Is this okay for a drive that will be used just for storage?

Also, under policies, it gives the option to enable write caching on disk. Im unsure whether or not to use this. It says a power outage or equipment failure could cause data loss or corruption, and it isn’t uncommon for the power here to randomly go out. Like this morning, for instance. Would it be wise to use this feature?

I recently had a corrupted hard drive and couldn’t access my data so I just wanna make sure I do everything possible to make sure that doesn’t happen again.

What do you think? :confused

2. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

Formatting the drive as an Extended Partition ( with logical drives ) is fine for an auxilliary hard drive. If the operating system needs to go on the drive then you'll need to format it with at least one of the partitions set as a Primary Partition for booting purposes.

Cacheing writes, is problematic without an 'uninterruptable power supply'; also known as UPS. I recommend getting a UPS for your computer, because they not only extend the running time when a brown/blackout occurs but they also cleanup the power by removing dips and spikes. If you've got the coin, get a UPS with a 1200VA to 1500VA rating. However, a 600VA rating is still quite adequate for extending computer use by 10 to 15 minutes in a blackout. That should give you plenty of time to finish what you're doing and shut down the computer, so 'write cacheing' will not be a problem.

3. wolfywolf

wolfywolf Private E-2

Thanks for the help, prometheos. Just wanted to make sure I wasnt doing anything wrong before I started putting data on the drive. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds