HELP!! Gaming and video problem computer shuts off

Discussion in 'Software' started by themitz210, May 20, 2010.

1. themitz210

themitz210 Private E-2

Ok so heres the deal, whenever i watch a movie or play a game my computer will just shut off. I checked and saw my video card was running a little hot, but not to bad so i thought that it could be my power supply, so i swapped it out and put in a BFG 550 watt supply. Computer then worked good for a couple weeks so i decided to try the video card and swapped out the Nvidia GT120 for a ATI radeon 5770. I fired it up and im still haveing the same problem. Anyone have any ideas? this is frustrating the heck outa me. Also my quad core cpus temps are fine to. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Windows version and Service Pack are you using?

When your PC does shutdown during video playback or gaming, when you reboot, go into Event Viewer and look at the System and Application logs and look for any errors at the general time of the crash, need it to be at the time of a new crash as some errors listed msy not be relevent to this issue.

What are the temps of hardware, as even swapping them out, doesnt mean that your internsl case temp is not pushing them to the max, can use http://majorgeeks.com/HWMonitor_d5842.html to monitor, CPU, GFX etc

Are your Graphic drivers upto date and did you fully uninstall the nvidia drivers before installing the Ati ones as files from nvidia coukd be left over?

Do you have any yellow! marks in Device Manager, if so whst?

Do you have and Codec packs installed, if so what one/s?

3. themitz210

themitz210 Private E-2

Hi, I'm have windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit with service pack 1 installed,

In the application logs i have to errors with WMI as the source and event ID 10. I looked back and every time the machine crashes this is the error. Then in the system logs i have an error source Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider and event id 7026 and the description is the following boot start or system start drivers failed to load cdrom.

My internal case temps are also not a problem as i have the sides off with another fan running blowing into the case. My processors are also running in the 40's C range.

I just updated the graphics drivers and removed the nvidia drivers, though i found out that my oem motherboard is a nforce board and had to reinstall the ethernet drivers as i lost my internet then. That shouldnt be part of the problem should it? Especially since it was crashing before the card swap.

And the only yellow mark i have in the device manager is an 6TO4 network adapter.

And i dont have any codec packs installed that i know of

4. DavidGP

Hi

Do you know what the motherboard make and version is and you may need to re-install the chipset drivers as 6TO4 should be fixed with those.

To Help with the WMI error run the following script HERE

5. themitz210

themitz210 Private E-2

I'm not sure what version the mother board is i just know it is an Nforce board that came with the computer. I've already reinstalled the drivers and i tried running the script but the computer wouldnt let it run.

6. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Most manufacturers will silk-screen the model number onto the motherboard, either somewhere around the RAM slots, or by the PCI slots. If you can get into your PC, grab a flash light and go number hunting. :)

Or you can download and run Speccy and look under the motherboard category there.

7. themitz210

themitz210 Private E-2

ok i looked up my motherboard with speccy and its a gateway FMCP7AM With a nForce 730i chipset.

8. DavidGP

Hi try running it as an admin, just right click it and choose Run as Administrator

Try the nVidia nForce 730i Chipset from HERE then reboot.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds