HELP HELP BLUE SCREEN!! need help quickly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DutchMarco, Feb 4, 2007.

1. DutchMarco

DutchMarco Corporal

hi,

whenever I start my laptop I get a permanent blue screen just before the welcome screen should come.

I have used the recovery disk to fix it, (I did FIXBOOT in the recovery command screen). Then I rebooted, but I got the blue screen again, laptop is full of homework and other important stuff. I've tried silly stuff as taking the battery out for a while and then putting it back in and i've kept rebooting and rebooting. I'm now on computer #3 asking for help, whilst on laptop #2 I'm trying to fix this problem (i'm still in the command screen)
    safe mode, doesn't work either

SP 2

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  2. DutchMarco

DutchMarco Corporal

I ran chkdsk /R, and the computer has gotten one step further. instead of a full blue screen, I now have a screen that says: Windows is starting up... and the windows logo it very transparent, which normally isn't.

Oh well... this s***s, I rebooted and the blue screen is back again. PLS HELP

I NEED YOU!!!

3. IslandGeek

IslandGeek Private E-2

Is there a code on the blue screen?

4. IslandGeek

IslandGeek Private E-2

Just a long shot, switch your RAM sticks around (if you have two) take one out and then swap it for the other, It worked for me just recently, one of the Ram sticks had died ???

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

6. DutchMarco

DutchMarco Corporal

I'm following the instructions you give at that thread.
    CD I'm using is the MEDION recovery disc, provided by MEDION AG. Specially for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    But in the recovery screen it says Windows XP Professional Setup

I'm working on a laptop, I can't switch memory sticks (I think). And I don't think the memory stick would've died as the laptop is only about 2 months young.

NO

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Medion laptops I have worked on seem to suffer a high proportion of hardware failures - yours is a couple on months old - don't invalidate the guarantee by fiddling with the hardware Medion are very good about repair.

Since bootup reaches the windows GUI (bluescreen) you don't have an MBR fault. You have a registry issue.

Windows hanging can sometimes be cured by booting to safemode. Did you try this?
    How did you access fixbot and chkdisk?, from an F8 bootoptions command prompt or from the recovery console?

The medion recovery disks I have seen only allow you to do an image restore not repair install. Do you have a standard winXP cd with your other computers?

8. DutchMarco

DutchMarco Corporal

Tried all options, nothing works.. :(

so formatted.. now it works fine.
    just a pity that I lost all the files :(

Thanks for all the help,
    Marco

9. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Thanks for posting the outcome.
    After the sigh of relief you will now need to review your backup strategy to avoid repetion of file loss.
    Simplest way is to get a usb stick/ external drive and use that . CDRW disks are too unreliable.
    Another way is to carve out a data partition on your hard drive and store stuff there so it will not be lost if Windows falls over again. It does not need to be very large.

Happy geeking in future and good luck in the exams

Studio T

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds