Help how do I stop file search from searching ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by snakefoot, Nov 4, 2003.

1. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

I work as a developer and I do a lot of file searches. The source code is placed on a network drive. When I do a search and leave the search window open, the network drive performance becomes very bad.

It seems that after doing a search the Search Window continues to monitor all the files in the location for changes. Either to remove them from the search window if the file is changed, so it doesn't forfill the search criteria, or to add new files that matches the search criteria.

Is it possible to disable this monitoring of files after a search is done with Windows Explorer FileSearch ? (Besides slowing down performance it is annoying that the files enters/disappears from my file search window)

P.S. I know there are 3rd party file search utilities, but I would prefere to make Windows 2000/XP FileSearch work (WinNT4 works just fine)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2003
  2. vasarnap2000

vasarnap2000 Private E-2

Have you tried turning off the 'indexing service'? This provides for faster searching. On XP Pro it can be controlled via the "Properties" window for each disk drive.

3. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

The indexing service is disabled.

4. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

It is the Windows Explorer Filesearch I use for searching in my source code files.

Does the Windows Explorer Filesearch stop monitoring files if they contain the word "runonce" ?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds