Help Hp Elitebook 8570w Has No Backslash Key

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Darryl C, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Darryl C

Darryl C Private E-2

Hi Guys

need some help I recently bought an HP Elitebook 8570w but now find it has not backslash key on the keyboard? Can anyone offer a suggestion as to how I can re-c0nfigure the keyboard or how I can get around so I can type a backslash?

Thanks

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

It's there, just not in a traditional place.

Look at this page and scroll down to the images under the Touchpad/Point section, then click to open the Keyboard (or Pointstick) image. There you will see the backslash is located on the 2nd row from the top, under the F11 and F12 keys. That is a triple function key, along with "?" and "ß". How you activate that key is something you will need to check your manual for. My "guess" is you have to press the "alt gr" (alternate group) key (right side of space bar), then the "? ß \" key to get \.

Clear as mud, huh?

baklogic likes this.
  4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

5. Digerati

Paragraph 6?

I note "Chapter 6" is on Power Management. Chapter 4 deals with "Navigating using the keyboard, touch gestures and pointing devices".

6. Darryl C

Darryl C Private E-2

Thank you will have a look tomorrow and hopefully make sense of it. Much appreciated

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

8. Digerati

Huh? I don't even know what you are quoting baklogic but it is not me. I never said anything about the 8 key. The Beta (ß) key, yes.

baklogic likes this.
  9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I might need a new pair of glasses...........

10. Digerati

Okay, but glasses have nothing to do with how you use the quote function in forum posts.

11. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Bad misquote cut , I am afraid ,on my part- just an old fart, that's me.

12. Digerati

lol Well, I suffer from chronic GCF so I hear you.

:confused: I forget what that means though. :( Oh yeah, "geriatric cranial flatulence"! ;)

baklogic likes this.
  13. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

To be more explicit, look at the picture of the k/b in Ch.4,. You'll need to change mag. to more than 200% (at least I did) because the pic is not that clear. You will see the \ key under the 'backspace' (aka delete) key as described

This is for a US k/b. I can't see the pound symbol on my laptop keyboard (implicit in the last sentence !). To get tat key in the position described change k/b to US. If you are in another country, it may be in a different place, but if you change to US layout, the key described won't be marked \ but it should have that function.

Alternatively, try an alt code - there tables of them on the internet for example alt 6 1 gives '='

Dumb_Question
    27.February.2017

14. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Untitled.jpg In that HP user guide I see no back slash key below F10/F11.
    But I DO see what could be a back slash key at the far right below the 'backspace' key and to the left of the 'pg up' key.
    You can see it easily in this mage.
    What a long drawn out thread to pinpoint something so quickly! ;)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  15. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

That IS the back slash key in the image - not 'could be'.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds