Help! I Don't Know If I've Uploaded Private Files

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jesse Newell, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I downloaded this thing called Ozibox Application Synchronization. It's supposed to upload files to the Ozibox cloud, like Copy or Dropbox. When I was setting it up though, it asked me to select a location for the Ozibox folder. The default was inside the documents folder but I thought it'd be better to put it inside my main user folder as that's where I have Copy and Dropbox. But when I selected that location, instead of an Ozibox folder being created, the program just said main location was C:/Users/Jesse Does that mean now that I've begun uploading all the files from that folder to Ozibox?

2. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

PLEASE can ANYONE HELP me with this?

3. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

4. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I don't know a lot about them. I don't know if they're trustworthy. Their site seems so glitchy, I don't know if they'd be any help. I was hoping someone here might have had experience with them.

5. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

If you have genuine worries about them, then why are you even using their software? The two are contradictory and don't make sense.
    Do what dr.moriarty suggests and ask them.

dr.moriarty likes this.
  6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

If any member has experience with Ozibox, you will be helped.
    Until now, I have never heard of Ozibox.
    As dr.moriarty suggested (and I in the other thread), contact them.

7. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I didn't have any genuine worries about them until after I started using their software.

8. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I assumed when you said you had looked at their website and was concerned about that, that you did that before you installed their software. But no matter, just post them a support question and wait. If you don't get a reply in a reasonable period, just uninstall it.

9. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Have uninstalled it. And I did have concerns about their website before I installed their software. But they weren't concerns I was too worried about. And their software got through my antivirus protection without a hitch so as far I was concerned, everything was pretty OK. But you said genuine worries. I didn't have any genuine worries until after I started using the software.

10. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

If it is a cloud storage facility, like One Drive, Dropbox, Google Cloud etc, then you could just as easily have gone online and seen what was stored there. If it had uploaded data you didn't want there you could just delete it.

11. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

You asked me for help with this in a PM.

I have never heard of Ozibox (until now) and have never used their software either. I use Google Drive Sync and have been able to successfully share a couple of files with members of MG Forums who have wanted them. Ozibox should have created the local folder and the "cloud" folder from which you should be able to view/access and give access to files that are stored in the "cloud" via a link you'd generate.

But, since you had suspicions about Ozibox and uninstalled it, I'd leave it that way and go with Google Drive Sync which is available from Major Geeks. Currently, One Drive allows 15 GB of storage but Microsoft is going to be changing that to 5 GB in the near future unless you "lock in" the 15 GB (I did that but, unfortunately, don't remember where I found the info).

Jesse Newell likes this.
  12. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

It is but that's the thing. Files are sometimes invisible there. And you can upload a 750 KB file and still be told you've used 0 bytes. So it's hard to know what's been uploaded and what hasn't.

13. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

14. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

It tried to. But as you'll see if you read my first post again, I buggered that up. That's why I'm worried.

I'm actually calming down and am thinking about sticking with Ozibox. But I think I'll definitely contact them first and make sure of everything. Thanks.

15. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Only the files you actually place in the Ozibox folder should be uploaded or synced. Nothing else should be touched. That syncing should enable you to access those files on all devices you have Ozibox installed on (like Google Drive Sync does) or you should be able to generate links to those files from within Ozibox that you and others you allow can use to access those files from devices you/they don't have Ozibox installed on. If you don't give someone the link(s), they can't access the file(s).

16. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Oh I understand that. But what happened was I made the Ozibox folder C:\Users\Jesse by mistake thinking a folder actually named Ozibox would be created inside there. But it wasn't. The program doesn't have to point to a folder that's actually named Ozibox. It'll work on any folder I pick. Including C:\Users\Jesse, I think.

EDIT: Meant to bold the first sentence in your quote there. That's really what I'm replying to.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2016
  17. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Re your cross post elsewhere, as long as you have up to date real time security software you should be fine, and best to research any program you consider using more thoroughly in future. That's the learning process.

18. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I have Avast Pro Antivirus. The first time I tried installing the Ozibox sync, when I messed up and made the folder the main user folder, Avast kicked in with a threat detected alert. It said something about blocking OziboxSync. Then later after I'd uninstalled Ozibox, I tried to reinstall it but correctly that time, making sure to let it pick the folder it had selected in the first place. Avast didn't say a word that time so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2016
  19. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Just so ya know, I never said "messed" up.

20. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

What you did said could have gotten you BANNED.

Eldon likes this.
  21. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

There's no such thing as a bad word. The very idea's completely irrational nonsense. Anyway, if the admins think in that way, they should just add an automatically censored word list to the site. So if anyone types out a perfectly innocent, harmless little just-minding-his-own-business word like ****, it'll just appear like ****. See?

22. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I probably should mention that when I uninstalled OziboxSync for the second time today, I wasn't able to delete all the leftover files from Everything like I usually do because they were being used by another program which I took to be Avast. I downloaded Unlocker and tried to delete them with that but it wouldn't work. Told me it couldn't delete them and I'd have to wait until the next reboot. That was hours ago. Avast just 20 minutes ago popped up a second threat detected alert. Again something about OziboxSync.exe Makes me wonder if Avast has been scanning the leftover Ozibox files for the last several hours and only now detected that. I shut down anyway and restarted, and this time I was able to delete the leftover files from Everything. Should I be worried that Avast took so long to pop up another warning about OziboxSync.exe?

23. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

You could have done something this simple:
    1. Disable Avast
    2. Use a decent uninstaller such as Revo (if the program you want to uninstall is 32bit) or Geek Uninstaller or IoBit Uninstaller and tell the uninstaller to delete all left over files
    3. Restart your system
    4, Run CCleaner > Cleaner, and then CCleaner > Registry > fix all issues
    You can still do steps 1 and 4 NOW.

24. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Will do!

25. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Just disabled Avast, ran CCleaner, both Cleaner and Registry. The cleaner cleaner cleared around a GB of space, and the registry cleaner fixed ~200 problems, and Ozibox still isn't showing any files it shouldn't. So I'm gonna try and relax and focus on the noise issue for now.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds