Help, I downloaded a program and......

Discussion in 'Software' started by vestalmiss, Jan 9, 2005.

1. vestalmiss

vestalmiss Private E-2

I now version IE 5. I can't get version 6 on my computer...... :rolleyes:
    Thank you for your help....

Ves

2. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Ves, please provide more info on the problem as well as your system.
    With this much info the person needs to be a fortune cookie to come up with an answer! :p I was kidding a bit but seriously, tell us what you'd done so far. Are there any error messages? If so what are they and when are they coming up? etc. etc.

3. vestalmiss

vestalmiss Private E-2

Hey Turcoloco,

Thanks for the reply. Well being that I am a total dork when it comes to computers I downloaded a program from here that helps you clean or repair IE from damage done by adware and spyware.... I don't know what I did but the next thing I know I have removed IE 6 from my computer. I have tried to download Version 6 but I keep getting a message that says "Setup has detected a newer version is already on this computer.......

I went to Microsoft site and it said to check my version of windows .....

I hit "Run" and I typed in winver and I got this message saying that Version 5.1 is on my computer.

I run Windows XP Pro on this computer. I have spy doctor and norton virus protection too.

I hope this is enough information.

I thought the fortune cookie joke was funny...... ;) lol

Cheers,

Ves

4. Robert

Robert Sergeant

Hi Ves
    When you hit on the winver command it is telling you the build you have of Xp. Nothing to do with your version of IE which will be 6. If everything is working OK I can't see your problem. Why not open IE and click on Help About and it will show you your version of IE which shoud be 6. Hope this helps - (unless my dinner shiraz has completely taken out my grey matter)
    Robert

5. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Hi, I am going to have you check some of the registry keys but not sure how comfortable you'd be with going in to the Windows Registry?
    IF you are up to it, at least check this info for me and tell me what you have:
    1) click on Start
    2) click on Run
    3) type regedit and click on OK
    4) Registry Editor will open up
    5) Click on the + signs to expand each one of these folder (on the left):
    \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    \SOFTWARE
    \Microsoft
    \Internet Explorer
    6) Once you click on the last folder (Internet Explorer) on the right you will see a list of values, look for a 'string value' named 'Version'. That value has a data and the data defines the version of Internet Explorer that the system thinks that is currently installed. What is the number you see?

6. vestalmiss

vestalmiss Private E-2

Hey Turcoloco,

Here is the information you asked for, it says 6.0.2900.218

Does this tell you anything....

Ves :)

7. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Ok, I do not have IE5 installed on any of the machines I have access to at the moment, I do, however have fresh installation of XP pro at home (I am at work because MG doesn't pay my bills ;) :p ).
    So I will look into the info when I get home IF this didn't help:

My at work workstation has an older version number, but the problem is the registry also refers to a .inf file. Look at the same location in the registry and you will see another entry on the list called 'UpdateInf' which should be referring to an .inf file in \Windows\inf folder. Generally that file would also have a line in it (half way down the list) which displays the IE version as well.
    Hoping the catalog file will not be a factor, you could try changing both values to 6.0.2800.1106 which would be an older version than your system currently (supposedly) has installed.
    Remember you have to replace this 6.0.2800.1106 value both in the registry and in that .inf file.

VERY IMPORTANT: (not that it would make things worse but) backup both the .inf file and the registry key before making any changes!!

How to backup the registry key: after expanding and reaching the destination in the registry, right click on the last folder on the left panel 'Internet Explorer' and choose 'Export' option, make sure only that key will be exported, then choose a location and a file name of your liking and the registry file will be backed up with a .reg extention. To restore the key (if needed), you'd double-click on that .reg file and confirm the 'merge' with clicking on YES.

How to backup the .inf file: simply drag and copy that xxx.inf file to 'My Documents' or any other easy-to-find folder and choose option 'copy'.

I hope I was clear with my instructions.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds