Help, I'm trapped in an MHT File!

Discussion in 'Software' started by CatT, Aug 28, 2011.

1. CatT

CatT I can't follow the rules

i am trying to extract a few pix located on MHT pages i long ago saved. altho "properties" shows them with their proper names ("pic87.jpg", say), rt click/"save picture as..." shows "untitled.png".

were they recent saves, i could use the "properties" addy and link to the JPG location anew (or dump it into orbit, etc), but these are for pages which have long since vanished from the net (hence my saving an offline copy!).

or if i had saved the whole pages as "complete page"s in the first place (i.e., not "single file"s as they are now), then i could just fish thru the associated "files" folder. but i didn't, so i can't. nor will the pages RE-save as such -- something which i thought i could do with MHT files in the past.

on the actual WEB, i can still save JPGs just fine. well, MOST of them, anyways -- i do occasionally get this "untitled.png" stuff, maybe 20% of the time. but with MHT files, it's 100% of the time.

how do i get around this?

btw, is this related to the "untitled.BMP" issue which plagued me and many many others back in IE7 or so? despite the obvious resemblance there are some key differences here.

2. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

[Alt]+[Print Screen] keys to capture current window, paste into Paint and crop accordingly? Or use something like PicPick?

3. CatT

oh no, good god no, i don't wanna use any sort of screen capture -- that would be 10x worse than just snagging the untitled.png and RENAMING it to the appropriate jpg! (which i wouldn't mind if i knew for a fact that the FILE was the same).

fact that properties call tell me the name of the JPG implies it's in there somewhere. by "how do i get around this", i really meant what sort of kludge (opening MHT in other browser, sending something or other thru orbit, etc) can GET ME AT the actual jpg. sorry for the confusion!

back in XP (IE7 or so) the similar "untitled.bmp" issue was widespread, and there were several KB articles on the cause and the cure (involving registry tweaks, iirc).

here in w7 i can't find the equivalent. altho, i have found some piecemeal suggestions in THIS forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...s/273fd3b0-94b4-4a65-8b90-3878cb4b3f13?page=2

4. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

I can see I'm missing something here, like you can't get the MHT files to load in the browser. If you could, you should be able to right click on the image, select "Copy" and then paste into Paint or something like IrfanView

The only other thing that comes to mind off the top of my head is trying to find the pages using the WayBack Machine.

5. CatT

copy only sees the file as "untitled.png".

at SOME level the browser sees the correct jpg -- since "properties" can name it as such -- but the usual "extract" methods only see it as the png.

posting THAT to paint and renaming is a last resort. i'm not convinced it's the full-res original. remember .ART files?!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds