Help! installed wrong driver and pc wont start!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sam2839450, Apr 3, 2010.

1. sam2839450

sam2839450 Private E-2

I recently built a new system on the ASUS P5QPL-AM mobo.
    Everything is running fine until i accidentally installed the wrong driver for audio (chose the wrong windows version)...
    Now, when i press the power button, there is no display on the monitor, the cpu fan will not run at all and the power button does not light up at all... :cry

Did i just killed my mobo?
    Is there any way to bring it back to life??
    Any help is very much appreciated... :cry

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Will it start in safe mode- f8 as you startup.
    If it will then right click my computer, click manage, then click devices, then click on sound drivers, and click roll back driver- or, uninstal, reboot, and windows should find it again and allot it a driver

I have to go out now, but come back, if you still have a problem, there are others who, no doubt will help.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  3. sam2839450

sam2839450 Private E-2

No, it wont even power up at all... when it was working normally, the bios screen will appear and i can f8... Now i cant even get to the bios screen...

4. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

If you recent built it something could have failed. How recent tho?

If it wont power on at all it leads me to believe the PSU has died or something is loose. I don't think a wrong sound card driver would kill your motherboard.

5. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Agreed, check all power connectors and if they are all fine then if possible try a different PS.

6. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

I second that, and the motion is passed. Start diggin.

7. sam2839450

sam2839450 Private E-2

Problem solved...
    :)
    The culprit was my PSU...
    Got it changed and everything is running as it is supposed to
    Thanks for the heads up!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds