HELP, Installing drivers with out internet or cds

Discussion in 'Software' started by l110989, Oct 3, 2010.

1. l110989

l110989 Private E-2

Hi all,

I have a laptop that was given to me from a friend. Basically there was no hard drive with it when he gave it to me. I have gaind a hard drive now and put it in the laptop and installed xp on it and is turning on and working fine apart from I dont have the driver or utilities disk so cannot install the drivers. I have tried just plunging the Ethernet lead into the laptop but nothing happens. How can I install the drivers to get onto the internet, without the internet or disks? Is it possible to get it working again or is it lost cause

Thanks for you help
    Luke

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Luke.

Since you can access Major Geeks on the 'net, you should be able to access the laptop's support website and download the drivers for your model, transfer them to a portable drive, and load them into the problem machine.

If you run into any trouble, tell us the make, model #, service tag #, etc. of the laptop, and we'll try to help.

3. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

If you don't have a portable drive available but have access to a CDRW, you could also burn the drivers to a CD from another machine and always have them for future use.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds