Help: intermittant boot w/ video beep codes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Niky, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Niky

Niky Private E-2

I am running a BIY AMD machine using an Asus M2N-SLI MB and a NVIDA GeForce 7600GT video card. This machine has run well for over two years. Recently it started aborting boot and sounding video beep codes. Initially, I reseated all plugs on the MB, and that solved the problem. More recently, the problem is occurring with increased frequency. I frequently need to completely turn off the machine/PS and start over several times to get up and running. Most of the time the problem occurs right at boot; sometimes it occurs a few minutes after Windows is up and running. If the machine boots, and then remains up for more than a few minutes, then there is no subsequent video problem of any kind. Any suggestions much appreciated.
    ...Niky

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Are you sure it's Video and not RAM (sometimes hard to tell the differences in error beeps imho)?

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

I meant to say you can possibly test this by laying case on it's side, unplugging the power and monitor. Remove side cover and remove all except 1 RAM module and turn power on, listen for beeps, swap over RAM modules and test each one individually listening to the beeps.

4. Niky

Niky Private E-2

Thanks for helping.

The beeps are unmistakable. My wife even noted the pattern. I can swap the RAM modules around and will do so. If it should come to past that the problem is in the video function, how do I distinguish between MB support for the video function and a bad video card itself? Take care.

...Niky

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

So have you removed and reseated the Video Card, sometimes they may look properly seated but have moved a bit.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds