HELP! Internet connection lost after 10 minutes

Discussion in 'Software' started by homepc, Mar 30, 2006.

1. homepc

homepc Private E-2

Internet Explorer will lose connection after 10 minutes like clockwork. I know its not my internet provider or my router because other computers are connected to it. What is causing this?

thanks
    ray

2. katana

katana Private E-2

is it connected via usb or ethernet. if ethernet could be a time out on card.

3. homepc

homepc Private E-2

Thanks for the reply. Actually what I found out is that I had shut down my AntiVirus and Firewall. When I started them back up, it now stays connected! Now sure why, but it's fixed!

thanks
    Ray

4. lionlopez

lionlopez Private E-2

Hi everyone,
    I really need some help with this one.

I have a very well updated PC running XP SP2 well patched with IE7.
    I have run Trend Micro and spybot and there is nothing wrong on the PC.

After exactly 10 minutes of the PC being on, wireless internet connection is lost, BUT:

I can still telnet to my router so I know I still have an IP
    BUT I can't access my router's http admin page (I normally can)
    I also can't access any website at all on the web.

I have tried the following:

- Dynamic and Static IP setting
    - Uninstalled all VPN and network related software (Cisco VPN, deterministic ...)
    - Turned on and off windows firewall and rebooted each time
    - Ran all kinds of malware detection and virus scans
    - Disabled power management on network card
    - Removed the 10 max TCP/IP connection feature of XP
    - I've tried different PCs on the same network and they're fine
    - Tried ipconfig release and renew
    - Tried repair connection
    - Tried netsh reset
    - Tired FireFox and other browers
    - Logging off and back in doesn't help, must restart to fix

5. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

Lionlopez - it's recommended that you start your own thread stating the problem and not use someone else's thread :)

Also, there is a Network support forum that this would best fit instead of placing it in the Software forum. Eventually a Moderator will move this thread or if you post in this forum it will get moved to the Network forum.

6. lionlopez

lionlopez Private E-2

Thanks for the advice Ken3 but I am new to these forums and am having the exact same problem. I thought someone more knowledgeable could help. The "Firewall Fix" that the other person used was not applicable to me so I thought I would repost. Apparently not, Thanks anyway

7. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

You're welcome - just post your problem in the Networking Support forum. There are folks there that frequent that forum that can help you. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds