HELP!!! I've resorted to clearing our my hard drive completely!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blondemommy, May 29, 2005.

1. blondemommy

blondemommy Private E-2

It's me again, y'all. I've tried everything I know to do to get my computer running right. I'm infected with all sorts of trojan horses (downloader, dropper, startpage, etc.) Yes, I have virus protection but these are somehow finding their way through. I've also got all sorts of spyware. I'm running spybot search and destroy and yahoo anti-spy. I'm ready to throw it in the yard, I swear! LOL! But before I do, I want to try to wipe out my hard drive and start from scratch. I just can't figure out how to do that. I'm running Windows ME on this puter. Can any of you fine people instruct me on how to wipe it out? I'm beyond desperate now. I know you guys will pull me through like you always have! Thanks in advance!!
    ~Lynn~

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

This should help you Lynn http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=25831

its sad that you have come to the point of having to re-install but in the end its a wise choice, just rememeber to before you wipe clean download and save any AntiVirus programs and AntiSpyware programs so you can install them before going online.

Plus backup any inportant files data etc eg. Favorites folder ( I woudl hate to loose all my bookmarked webby sites )

3. blondemommy

blondemommy Private E-2

Halo, you're the best! I can always count on you. Thanks for the link. I've printed it out and all. I've already saved all my important files. So, I think I'm ready to wipe it out now. The favorites list will be pretty easy to set back up, 'cause there are only a handfull that I visit regularly anyway. It is sad that it's come to this, but I've got my sanity to think about here! LOL!! It's driving me NUTS! Thanks again, Halo! (((hugs))) :)

4. scoobysix

scoobysix Private E-2

Just be sure the files you've saved aren't already infected because they'll just do the same thing to your freshly formatted drive and it's the same hullabaloo all over again :)

5. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I havn't seen drivers mentioned,it might be a good Idea to backup your drivers using one of the driver backup tools in the download section here at major geeks/driver utilities,I have never used any of these so maybe its up to someone else to recommend one,the most important one is your modem drivers so you can get on the internet and download the other drivers,or get help if something goes wrong when reinstalling the others.Heres one that has a good rating

http://majorgeeks.com/DriverGuide_Toolkit_d2545.html

BTW Do you live anywhere near Michael Jordans old house Blondemommy?

:)

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Make sure the first programs you install after the reformat are a Firewall and AntiVirus BEFORE you get back on the INternet again. So you will have to download these before you reformat, or download them using another PC and burn them to CD to reduce any possible infections.
    Firewalls (choose 1)

Sygate Personal Firewall http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3356.html
    Zone Alarm http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=388
    Zone Alarm http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=744

Not sure which ZA link is the correct one. Unless you wish to pay for ZA Pro, or upgrade to ZA Pro, I suggest that you just choose the Free (home) version from the start. Saves going back to ZA free if you try ZA Pro trial first (when trial expires).

Anti Virus (choose 1)

AVG http://www.majorgeeks.com/ download886.html
    Avast download http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1968.html

Avast requires an email registration to get a licence key but that is no big deal.

Maybe download both AV but only run 1 when yiou are on the net.
    Run them both, one after the other, occasionally, when you are OFFLINE.

Sometimes one may pick up stuff the other one misses. Bazza

FWIW, I use ZA and Avast but have used ZA and AVG. Others swear by Sygate (your choice) Baz

Last edited: May 29, 2005
  7. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

Imight note that you are using windows ME, and Microsoft no longer supports that because it is so bug-ridden, possibly part of the reason you've had so much problems with spyware, etc. You might consider getting a new OS. Getting windows XP would be the best but if money is tight maybe a friend has windows 98 lieing around that he/she is no longer using.

8. blondemommy

blondemommy Private E-2

Thanks, all of you, for ALL of your tips, input and advice! I've got this all printed out, as well. The main thing I was worried about not losing were my photos, as I'm an amateur photographer. So, I'm PRETTY SURE those files are safe. Windows ME isn't my OS of choice, XP is all the way. This computer was given to me brand new, so I couldn't complain. My other computer has XP on it and I miss it! (it's got a power supply problem :rolleyes: ) I've got a copy of XP and plan to resume with it . You all are the SHIZNIT! Great advice from all of you. Thanks so much! And, Rikky, Michael Jordon's house is about 15 minutes away from me. ;) My uncle went to high school and graduated with him. (They're all older than me! LOL!) Again, thanks for everything, guys! I truly appreciate it!

9. blondemommy

blondemommy Private E-2

Well, I guess I just don't know what the heck is going on here. I can't get into BIOS now. When I try, I get Boot Failure - insert diskette or something along that line. I do have a question. (REMEBER I AM BLONDE) I read each and every word of the link that Halo posted on how to re-format my hard drive. But I don't see where it tells me how to wipe it out first. Or do I not need to? Will the XP OS override the ME OS automatically? I am so lost. I am bound and determined to get this thing...I'm just having some major technical difficulties. Anyone have any ideas?

10. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

To get into your Bios you need to repeatedly tap a certain key several times as it's booting.

If it doesn't go into the Bios then you weren't fast enough or didn't tap it enough times.

As far as which key to tap, it will usually state that on your screen at the bottom when you boot up, e.g. "press the del key to enter bios"

The most common keys are del (delete) or esc, but it depends on the manufacturer.

Once you Bios is set to boot from CD Rom then it should just be a simple matter of following the link supplied above.

HERE are some more installation instructions if you still get stuck.

11. blondemommy

blondemommy Private E-2

Thanks for the link, Insomniac. Here's the wierd part about the BIOS thing: I WAS able to get in there with no problem. Now, when I try to get in there, I get that "Boot Failure Insert Diskette" message.

12. Insomniac

I've never heard of that before in regard to the Bios?

Anyway, do you have any disks in your floppy drive?

Where does this message appear?

Can you set your Bios to boot from CD Rom as first device?

13. blondemommy

blondemommy Private E-2

I know, it's really really strange, insomniac. I have no disks in the floppy. It happens when the BIOS screen SHOULD pop up (after tapping my f10 button). And I don't know how to set my BIOS to boot from my CD-ROM since I can't get in there now. Is there another way to do that?

14. Insomniac

When you get the error, does it give you any other info?

What happens if you press esc, enter or another key?

What brand is the computer, eg IBM, DELL, HP ?

The only thing I can think of is that the boot files from your hard drive are missing or corrupt and it's looking at the next boot device, but that still doesn't explain why you can't enter the Bios.

What happens if you let it boot up "normally"?

15. blondemommy

blondemommy Private E-2

I get no other info - it's the black screen with white writing. Nothing happens when I hit esc, enter, f1, f2,f3, etc. I have to shut it off and start up again. It boots up ok when I do it normally. The only thing wierd about the normal start up is that when it's scanning my disk for errors, it hangs up there, and I have to close it out (this is something else that used to work fine.) THIS computer is a Sony VAIO. It has the Intel Pentium III 866 mhz processor. Like I said earlier, it was given to me and I really don't know anything about the Sony's. I've always had HP in the past.

16. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

I'm thinking you might be hitting the wrong button to get into the BIOS? it's different for each machine

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

as an alternative, you might try getting Windows XP floppy boot disks and boot up with them instead of your CD

17. blondemommy

blondemommy Private E-2

YAY! Don't ask me what I did because I truly and honestly don't know how I did it, but I'm now reformatted with XP!!!! My BIOS decided to read the disc I had and viola! I'm now reformatted. Now the fun part begins on setting it back up!! Thank all you nice folks for your help! Y'all ALWAYS come thru for me! MUAH! :)

18. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Glad to see that you got past your "blonde moment" and got everything working! Are you sure that you aren't a brunette at heart? Seriously, glad that your computer is going, and look forward to more posts! :)

19. moyupae

moyupae Private E-2

Formatting IS wiping the hard drive :) Well, technically it's re-writing the hard drive, but let's not get too complicated here. It's getting rid of your old info and getting your hard drive ready for the new OS.

As to your question about XP overriding ME, it won't have to. As I said, the format is clearing the old ME off of there.

One thing should be clearified: You're not using the same XP cd and serial as you used on your other computer, right? If so, when you resolve your power supply issue and want to use that computer again, you'll run into problems having used the same serial. Just checking now to avoid headaches later! :)

20. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Another trick, that takes time, but not timing, is to hold a key, as you restart the computer. Eventually, it'll pick up a stuck key error, and let you get into the bios with just a single other press.

21. blondemommy

blondemommy Private E-2

Oh lord! I feel so blonde. Novice, if only I WERE a brunette at heart...lol....maybe I wouldn't have to come in here and ask such "blonde" questions. Moy, lmao! I feel like an idiot. Thanks for explaining the reformatting thing. I kinda realized that after I installed XP and EVERYTHING from before was gone....sigh. I know y'all think I'm an idiot!! Thanks for your patience with me. Sometimes it takes me a time or two to catch on. As for the XP that I used on this puter, I'm good to go. I've not used it before. The XP on my other puter was built in. Thanks again everyone....this blonde bimbo signing out.....for now.....lol!

22. moyupae

moyupae Private E-2

Believe me, nobody thinks the slightest bit less of you simply because you needed to ask questions. I know it sounds silly, but you didn't know a few things that you needed to know in order to fix your computer, you asked the right questions, got (apparently) the right answers, and now you do have a basic understanding of how to fix your computer in that situtation. Sure, by the next time you have to do it, you may have forgotten a step or two, but nobody minds. I think most of us have a lot more respect for someone willing to learn to fix their own computer than somebody who falls back on their wallet and takes it to the tech bench. Obviously there are times when it doesn't make sense for the average user to do self repairs, but in a case like yours, a relatively simple format/reinstall is well within the ability of most people.

So congrats! Enjoy. And make sure you're running an anti-virus, firewall, and an adware/spyware blocker by the time you read this ;)

23. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Your right blond hair is a disadvantage,I'm 25 and as most of my hair has fallen out,I'm at a real disadvantage.

There's no reason for you to think that because you are inexperienced with computers people in this forum will judge you,If the problem is solved and the computer starts to work,great thats all I/we want.

When you have fixed your computer,you will have to fix all the brunettes computers you know of,If theres some free hair going spare send it to me.

LOL :D

24. blondemommy

blondemommy Private E-2

Awww, Moy, Rikky, you guys are sweethearts. Thanks for making NOT feel like such a ding bat anymore! LOL! Moy, the first thing I did was install the virus protection (AVG), fire-wall (Zone Alert) and anti-spy (Spybot search and destroy). So, I believe I'm good to go for now. And look! During this whole thing, I graduated to Private First Class!! Doesn't take much to excite me, does it? LOL Thanks again, y'all. I appreciate it! ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds