HELP - Kernel Panic RedHat 4.1.18, what now?

Discussion in 'Software' started by hankyknot, Apr 20, 2010.

1. hankyknot

hankyknot Corporal

I have a client who has for the last four years been running a Red Hat 4.1.18 Server with absolutely zero problems.

Yesterday somebody had a problem with one of the attached Windows PC's and decided to reboot the server. By reboot I mean pull turn off the power to the box.

When they tried to reboot, they get a kernel panic. This is what the screen says;

Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
    audit(1009912323.849:0): initialized
    Red Hat nash version 4.1.18 starting
    File descriptor 3 left open
    Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
    /dev/hda: open failed: No medium found
    No volume groups found
    No volume groups found
    No volume groups found
    mount: error 6 mounting ext3
    mount: error 2 mounting none
    switchroot: mount failed: 22
    umount /initrd/dev failed: 2
    Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

I'm stuck, I've never come across this before. What do I do to recover this?

(and yes the staff member has been educated to the fact that if they do not know what they are doing they should leave well alone)

2. loonacycle

loonacycle Private E-2

I have a client who has for the last four years been running a Red Hat 4.1.18 Server with absolutely zero problems.

your client that you made money from.

call Red Hat @ 1-800-save-my ASP ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds