Help - laptop can't connect to Inet through LAN

Discussion in 'Software' started by Niky, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Niky

Niky Private E-2

When connecting my Thinkpad X41 WinXP SP3 via patch cable to my main Win7 SP1 computer, I can't access the Inet from the ThinkPad. I can access the Inet from the Win7 computer; I can access files both ways between the two computers. On the Win7 computer, in the Network Connections window, there are two networks reported: LAC/Network 3 with Inet access; and an "unidentified network" without Inet access. With the unidentified LAC, going through properties/sharing/Internet Connection sharing/Allow other network uses to connect to the Inet/close, results in an error box stating, "The dependency service or group failed to start." Researching this for several hours on the Inet fails to turn up a fix for this particular configuration. So, in summary, how to enable Inet access from my laptop, through the patch cable, and through the main computer. I've been spending too much time on this :)/ Thanks in advance.
    ...Niky/Robert

2. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Internet sharing (one computer on the internet, other computer sharing the connection) is not the best way.
    Use a router or switch, plug in your internet and each computer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds