Help loggin into Linksys WRT54G

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Edrox, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Edrox

Edrox Private E-2

I have a WRT54Gv5 router that was on my older XP box for a long time. Worked great, no complaints. I got a new Vista computer and set everything up. I can get on the internet just fine, both hardwired and wireless.

I am trying to set up a static IP for port fowarding. But, I cant log into the router. the default gateway in IPConfig is 192.168.1.1 - as it has always been. when I enter that address, I get the standard 'cannot display webpage' from ie, just as if I was not connected at all. I pinged the router, and did get replies.

I am about to lose my damn mind. Help?

2. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Try typing in 192.168.1.2 see if that works then 1.3 and so on, if not try resetting your router !

Rusty ! ;)

3. djchrist

djchrist Private E-2

Click on start then run and type cmd and hit enter. You should see a black command prompt window come up. Then type ipconfig in there and hit enter. You'll see your ip address and default gateway. Your default gateway is your router ip address. In your web browser type this address and you'll get a user/pass prompt. If you didn't change anything it is probably admin/admin or it coud be a blank username and admin for your password. If you set a user/pass previously and don't know you'll have to reset your router to factory settings and there is a reset button in the back. Please let me know if you need further help.

4. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Turn off your firewall and try the 192.168.1.1 address again.

5. Edrox

Edrox Private E-2

as you can see in the first post, i already tried that

6. Edrox

Edrox Private E-2

tried that too - no go

7. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Can your old computer still connect to the router?

Almost has to be something unique to the Vista machine. Is it IE8 per chance? If so, could you try FireFox just as a test?

8. Edrox

Edrox Private E-2

Old compy crashed and burned. Thats why I replaced it. BSOD and bad CMOS so I just yanked it.

Tried Firefox too. AND chrome. This ****ing thing is doing my head in.....

BTW - to everyone here - I really appreciate your help, or at least attempts at help :) You are the best

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  9. Edrox

Edrox Private E-2

update: Just to make sure I wasnt stupid or anything, I went and got both of my laptops. Connected each one separately, hardwired to the router. Nothing. Still cannot access the default gateway IP

10. Edrox

Edrox Private E-2

I GOT IN!

Cripes that was a pain. Had to go through a complicated resetting procedure I found on the Cisco website, but I finally got in.

I appreciate everyone here trying to help sort this. It was a PITA to be sure.

I am going to post the multi-step reset procedure here, just in case anyone ever needs it again:

use the following procedure:

1) Power down all computers, the router, and the modem, and unplug them from the wall.
    2) Disconnect all wires from the router.
    3) Power up the router and allow it to fully boot (1-2 minutes).
    4) Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds, then release it, then let the router reset and reboot (2-3 minutes).
    5) Power down the router.
    6) Connect one computer by wire to port 1 on the router (NOT to the internet port).
    7) Power up the router and allow it to fully boot (1-2 minutes).
    8) Power up the computer (if the computer has a wireless card, make sure it is off).
    9) Try to ping the router. To do this, click the "Start" button > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt. A black DOS box will appear. Enter the following: "ping 192.168.1.1" (no quotes), and hit the Enter key. You will see 3 or 4 lines that start either with "Reply from ... " or "Request timed out." If you see "Reply from ...", your computer has found your router.
    10) Open your browser and point it to 192.168.1.1. This will take you to your router's login page. Leave the user name blank, and in the password field, enter "admin" (with no quotes). This will take you to your router setup page. Note the version number of your firmware (usually listed near upper right corner of screen). Exit your browser.

If you get this far without problems, try the setup disk (or setup the router manually, if you prefer), and see if you can get your router setup and working.

If you cannot get "Reply from ..." in step 9 above, your router is dead.

If you get a reply in step 9, but cannot complete step 10, then either your router is dead or the firmware is corrupt. In this case, use the Linksys tftp.exe program to try to reload your router with the latest firmware. After reloading the firmware, repeat the above procedure starting with step 1.

11. djchrist

djchrist Private E-2

Looking through the posts quickly I don't see that you tried resetting the router back to factory settings yet. Also, if you previously put in router config to login https you could try in your browser https://192.168.1.1 just to be sure. If that doesn't work reset the router to factory settings then get on the phone with Linksys to see why you cannot login to their router. Another thing just so you know you don't have to necessarily put a static ip address from the router. You can static the address on the computer itself in network settings and as long as the machine is on you won't lose the address or you can just make it an address not near the beginning of your regular DHCP addresses.

12. djchrist

djchrist Private E-2

Guess I was a little late but you basicly just reset your router to factory settings as we had said.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds