Help me figure out if i have another dead H/D on my hands?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by geekahertz, Jul 30, 2010.

1. geekahertz

geekahertz Private E-2

I have a Western Digital caviar black 1tb Hard drive and i need to figure out if its dead because my comp started slowing down in the last 3 days. Then it took forever for it load windows and the last time it did. i tried to do a virus scan but when i came back later i got a black screen with the message that the drive was unreadable. Now it wont load up windows past the windows logo. i have windows vista as my operating system and i have tried to put the installation cd into the machine to see if i could use it to repair my windows install but that is not working either.

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

youre gonna want to download western digital's diagnostic software. You can burn it to a cd and boot from it
    http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=613&sid=30&lang=en

select Diag504fCD.iso and use a burning program to make the disc. Make sure you have the computer boot from the cdrom first (could be why you cant boot your vista disc)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds