Help Me Find Specific Software...

Discussion in 'Software' started by gabriel carter, Nov 23, 2016.

1. gabriel carter

gabriel carter Private E-2

hi,
    im have Gforce GTX750ti Graphics card and my pc runs: windows 7 64bit, kali linux 64bit, RemixOS, and a handful of other linux OS's.
    my main monitor is a 42inc lcd connected by the hdmi on my GTX750ti, i have now connected a smaller monitor to one of the vga sockets and have it sat to the side of tue lcd tv. my question is this....
    is there a software suite that i can place on the second smaller monitor that could just sit and monitoring my system and networking in real time (open ports on my system that i could close with a click of a butron, ip addresses connected to my pc "like caller ip sort of style", maybe netstat -ano type statisics along with, hdd disagnostics and various other monitoring tools) would just like to have my second monitor keeping me aware of what my system is doing in the background so i can quickly identify and trouble i suspect when my pc lags for now reason or my hdd powers up for no apparent reason, do you know what i mean?

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

gabriel...might not be exactly what you want, but I recommend taking a look at Glasswire firewall. This program shows graphically what is using your network bandwidth. I wouldn't recommend using it as a firewall, instead as a monitor. The firewall can be turned off. The great part about Glasswire is that you have access to information aside from the graphs so you can see which applications are using bandwidth over time (say a week or month) and then you can also get a further breakdown by IP and see which application the IP is associated with. All of this is associated with very helpful graphs.

These kinds of reports are somewhat vague with any software of this type. You see svchost.exe using x bandwidth, but you don't in every case know it's Microsoft. However, GW does give a real look at which IPs are using your bandwidth. If the GW firewall is off, then you can still use the information to block a connection in the Windows firewall or use another firewall.

You want one click, but, as far as I know, the only one click options for terminating a connection do not block the application long term. However, Private Firewall, which actually turns off the Windows firewall and replaces it, does give much more accessible settings in comparison to Windows firewall. If you want to block an IP, you just enter it into the permablock dialog, and it's gone forever. There are also some very good "wrapper" programs for Windows firewall that could help you manage permabans using Windows firewall more easily. I haven't liked any of them I have looked at so far.

I use Private Firewall and for many months used Glasswire. If I had an extra monitor as you do, I think I would certainly take a look at Glasswire again. Ultimately, I found I didn't need it anymore. I guess I got my fill of seeing the information. As a monitor GW is free, but I think there is a charge to activate the firewall control element of the program.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/glasswire.html

Microsoft's TCPView is a good source of information, which shows whois information (who is behind the connection) on connected IPs from the right click dialog of a connection:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_sysinternals_tcpview.html

Private Firewall will give you complete control over ports and IPs:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/privatefirewall.html

3. gabriel carter

thanks for your help AtlBo,
    i didnt think id have much luck with this to be honest but everything youve touched on, seems like a great place to start.
    im a bit of perfectionist and cant stand it when software isnt a 100% match lol...so for the sake of being able to sleep soundly, can you suggest any gui creation tools that would make short work of creating my own program from various features extracted from pre-existing software???

4. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

gabriel...in these words "short work of creating my own program from various features extracted from pre-existing software???" The answer is no. There isn't any such thing to speak of. You might be able to create a simple program if you know a language like C# or whatnot that would make it possible to edit the settings file of a program very quickly. This is not as easy as I make it sound though...not even remotely easy.

It's a good idea, and I'd like to see it, but programs have to be compiled which means there would have to be a compiler in the program, and that's not gonna happen any time soon (ever). Also, all the programs would have to be from the same developer (not gonna happen this way). Would be nice, though, to be able to use settings in a single program to add features to a program that has everything you want in it (and maybe some things you don't need), especially if you could move some things around.

Closest I can get to what you would like is a mouse macro program. You can set a behavior for the mouse and then tie it to a hotkey. Basically, you type a key and a program opens and the setting that you want appears. Thing is the program would have to be in exactly the same place every time for this to work, because the macro actually uses the mouse . This takes alot of practice to learn to use, and it can mess up a system if the mouse starts clicking in the wrong place. The programs aren't easy to use either.

If you want to easily block an IP with Private Firewall, in the Main Menu tab where it says blocked sites at the bottom, click add and add an IP. PF has a really good log in the Firewall Log section that shows you what is being blocked.

5. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Unless the software is freeware open source, you can't reverse engineer it.

6. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Have a look at 'Rainmeter'. It has skins with all sorts of system stats available. You can go to the author's page from this MG download page. Check out any user forum there for specific tools and others using it on a second monitor. I know it shows enough that I didn't like it on my one monitor. But in your case it might be a whole 'nother story.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/rainmeter.html

7. gabriel carter

Sorry about the late reply. Thanks for all your interest and help. I was able to find a gui orientated software creation kit which required very lil knowledge about coding on source forge. I used this along with the Unix subsystem feature on windows 7 with a bunch of ported Linux tools and a i did a lil bit of re search with script creation that would refreshed the command continuously every 5 seconds, and write any new or predefined text into a text file, they were then writ back into a second cmd prompt script that was one digit exuction for various things like closing ports...iptrace...etc. I then used a program I found on here that positioned the cmd prompts into there own personal position withing my second display. It could have run alot smoother if it was all one program but lacking the essential skills at the time, I just had to make do...
    All tools used where open source free ware and mostly all the Linux tools I originally had in mind when I thought of it...
    I've now given up on windows (win7's reach its extended support and win10 isnt what i want from a OS) and i have taken Linux on full time. Its a lot more relivent to my new found interest in learning various scripting languages. All the best and again, thanks for all your input.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds