Help me install Windows on my newly reformatted computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by hiimdavidallen, Sep 12, 2004.

1. hiimdavidallen

hiimdavidallen Private E-2

It turned out my boot disc was broken, so I tried every single version of Windows 98 SE from www.bootdisc.com. Usually I get this far:

It reads the floppy disc, I choose to start with the assistance of the CD Rom, it shows me all of the drivers loading, and then says "please wait while your computer starts..." and then after about a minute, it goes back to the prompt

A:\

And that's it. I've tried this with both Windows 98 and Windows ME discs (and the corrisponding boot discs for both, I believe -- I'm running on Windows ME as we speak and could probably make the correct boot disc on this computer if I only knew how, but the reformatted computer in question is old and Im not sure if Windows ME would even run on it.) I do have two CD Rom drives, both were added later, a DVD Rom and a CD-RW drive so there might be problems reading that? Although I never had problems before, and Ive started Windows with help from CD Rom support with these CD Rom drives in the past...

So, what should I do from the A:\ prompt? What can I do in general? Thanks in advance.

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

it sounds like you have a corrupted cd if that's happening. when you get to the A:\ try formatting from there (i can't remember what the exact words are try format c or something like that, maybe someone could help me out there?)
    sometimes reformatting the drive again works or you have a damaged cd. did you say you were using floppies to boot from? if so, try creating them again because i've had trouble getting them to work first time. also, windows ME is not the best O/S to use, if possible try to get to XP or even 2K. They run a lot smoother install - i discovered this as i had the HP millenium edition package!

3. badflash

badflash Private E-2

Ok, you say you want to install a new copy of windows on the system.

First put the floppy in the drive and boot with cdrom support (have your windows cd in the cdrom) then when it gets to the flashing A:/ prompt. Type in fdisk then choose to delete your partition then hit esc key then create a new partition, then esc key and turn off the computer, then start it back up , then let it boot with floppy then choose boot with cdrom support again, then when you get to the A:/ prompt type format c: notice the space between format c: let it format the harddrive then when it get to the end of that you will see when that is, then type setup and a bunch of enter key pushes and you're on your way.

Now I must ask you how mush memory does the computer have and what is the cpu in it and the size of the harddrive.?

This is for installing windows 98se 98 ME also. XP you need NO floppy to install.

If you have an operating system on the harddrive already and you want to try and keep it and try to repair the boot sec. Boot from the floppy and choose boot without cdrom support, then at the
    A:/prompt type system c: notice the space again between system c: if it is successful you will see it on the screen. It will say it transfer successful.

If it says that and it still doesnt boot and load windows then you will probubly need to do the following above. I have VERY LITTLE to go by from what you have there as far as the details on what you even have, you gave nothing for me to go by. Goodluck

4. badflash

badflash Private E-2

You may depends on what you have there and if it was setup already, go into the bios and set the first drive and second and so on, make sure it see the harddrive for what it is.

If this is a Compaq then be careful of the partition they need that first part of the partition for the bios, only for Compaq again depends on the year and what you have. More on the original post would have been nice. Goodluck

5. badflash

badflash Private E-2

If you have an operating system on the harddrive already and you want to try and keep it and try to repair the boot sec. Boot from the floppy and choose boot without cdrom support, then at the
    A:/prompt type system c: notice the space again between system c: if it is successful you will see it on the screen. It will say it transfer successful.

Remember to take the floppy OUT when trying to boot to the operating system after this above.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds