Help me on choosing a soundcard.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nightwish, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Nightwish

Nightwish Private E-2

Right.
    I will be shortly creating a computer based hi-fi. I will have 2 bookshelf speakers connected to an integrated amp. The amp will be connected to my computer soundcard. However, I am looking at the m-audio audiophile 2496 and the emu 0404. I can't make my mind up which to get. The price difference is the matter of £10. I will be using the card mostly for listening to music but I will likely in the coming year use it for recording my guitar as well.
    Emu has had a lot of reviews and I've noticed people to report bugs with it. The emu processor is said to be a slight downside because its made by creative...i have a creative sb live and its not that bad and it uses some of emu technology, just my speakers suck.
    I've also been told that if I carry out my wanted setup, the sound will be analog, not digital because the amp Ill be getting (nad c320bee) doesn't have a DAC.
    Apparently emu are releasing some new drivers soon for free that will make the emu 24/192 as opposed to 24/96!
    Can anyone help me on this and which card to get?
    Thanks

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Well, if you want to record music from guitar to your computer, I'd buy one of these:

http://www.audiotrak.net/maya44mk2.htm

or this one:

http://www.audiotrak.net/maya1010.htm

I have two sound cards in my computer. One is onboard sound, the other is an Audigy 2 ZS. Pure junk when recording directly from guitar, Bass, and mic (or else I need a better 1/4" to 1/8" adapter....)

Perhaps one of these years I'll buy a "real" sound card. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds