Help me pick a Graphic card to get me by

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lubetek, Apr 27, 2006.

?

best bang for the buck?

1. X700 Select 256mb agp $130.95

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. X1300 512mb agp $149.99 with $50 mail in rebate

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. X1300 Pro 256mb $169.99

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. X1300 256mb agp $149.99

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lubetek

lubetek Private First Class

I plan to do a complete build in 6 months. It's long over due. I have been running my main pc for 3 years now. I need a cheapo video card to get me by awhile longer. I don't need anything special just something that performs better than my 9800Pro. My specs in sig.

After reading reviews and seeing some benchies I know the X1300 is better than my 9800Pro in every way. Anyway what do you think of these cards:

X700 Select 256mb agp $130.95
    X1300 512mb agp $149.99 with $50 mail in rebate ($199.99)
    X1300 Pro 256mb agp $169.99
    X1300 256mb agp $149.99

out of these cards which one is the best bang for the buck?

I'm gonna buy a new cooler for my 2500+ and over clock the hell out of it tonight to go with what ever card I buy.

2. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

picked x700, performs closer to 6600gt, witch isn't a bad card.

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I'd say save your money or get a refurb x800gto if it only has to last a couple of months,you'll prolly be able to ebay it for more when your done with it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...639+1305520549+4017&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=48

you aint gonna see that much performance improvement over your 9800 pro from those cards and any improvement will be hampered by your cpu IMHO you'll be dissapointed.

Personally I'd wait and put that money toward the pci-e card your gonna get with your new system,your 9800pro has enough power to play most games and the latest ones like fear ect will still struggle using any of those new cards and your overclocked 2500 :confused:

My two pence :)

4. lubetek

thanks for the input guys. I bought a Nvidia 7800 GS OC 256mb BMG tonight.
    I picked up two 1GB sticks of Mushkin PC3200 and a 300GB 16mb Maxtor HDD too.

this should hold me over awhile.

5. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

you got the same video card as me. you won't be disapointed:eek:

it's a awsome card!

good choice.

6. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

I'm glad you bought that, because the other cards you suggested in the voting pole aren't worth it.
    An x700 isn't close to a 6600GT, it's way off that performance.

7. lubetek

well after hearing the input here and at another forum I frequent I was talked into spending more money and making it a worth while upgrade over a 9800Pro. I'm glad I did.

8. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

have you played Oblivion yet? it runs great on a 7800GS it's a awsome game, I just got it last night. The graphics are:eek:

9. lubetek

L18 Archer.

yes I bought Oblivion the day it released. It actually looks nice on my 9800pro at medium settings. It would still get a hit to fps every once in awhile and my old card didn't support HDR.

Anyway I will be installing it again tonight.

what video quality levels do you use? what about the distance sliders?

I just can't wait to see what this game looks like on my new card!

10. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

details set to max, 12X10 resolution (I use a LCD),HDR,Distance on for everything. only thing I don't have on is AA, but it still looks and plays awsome.
    I have to say Oblivion is the best looking game I have ever seen in my life.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds